Sunday 23 August 2009

Golabki - Polish cabbage rolls

For some reason recently I have been craving Polish cabbage rolls just like grandma used to make. Or would have, if either of my grandmothers had been Polish.

Polish Cabbage Rolls (serves several)

1 head of green cabbage
500g beef mince
500g minced pork
1 cup cooked rice
1 egg
1 onion, minced
salt, pepper & grated nutmeg
1 onion, sliced
1 cup beef stock
1 cup passata
Sour cream to serve

Cut the core out of the cabbage and simmer the whole thing in a pot of lightly salted water, peeling off leaves using tongs as they loosen (only takes about 10 minutes). Mix the beef, pork, rice, egg and minced onion and season well with salt and much more ground pepper than you think it needs and then a little bit more. Roll spoonfuls of the filling in the cabbage leaves.
Place the sliced onion in the base of a heavy oven-proof pot and layer in the cabbage rolls. Mix the beef stock and tomato passata and pour over. Cover the pot with foil or the lid and bake for about an hour. Serve with sour cream on top.

9 comments:

Dharm said...

Baahahahahaha!! I love your opening line about your grandmothers being Polish - IF! Those cabbage rolls look really lovely!

Bettina Douglas said...

I'm worried about these Grandmother fantasies. I'm sure you longed for a Greek one not long ago!

Obviously Swiss / Australian is not exotic enough in the culinary stakes.

Arlene Delloro said...

My problem is the first direction--cut the core from the cabbage. I love these, but last time I made them, I had the worst time trying to find big enough leaves to roll. Apparently, having a Polish grandmother is the key. My grandmother was more into ravioli and pizza.

Heather S-G said...

These sound so great....and they're one of those things that have been on my "make this" list forever! You've got me craving them again. :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Dharm - thanks!

Mother - well Swiss food like my grandmother used to make it wasn't very appealling!

Arlene - I am going to line up for an Italian grandmother next time around.

Girli - they were good! Reheated well too.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I finally made the Swedish style with the creamy sauce last year, but have been wanting to try Polish style with tomato sauce--they look delicious!

Sam said...

I've been to Poland twice but never tried these. I think I missed out there, they look really good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Deb - if I get another cabbage in my veg box, I will give Swedish style a go.

Sam - I've never been to Poland!

Leslie said...

Mmm.my mom used to make something like this! Delish
I answered your question on my broth color in my Spanish Bean Soup here
http://thehungryhousewife.blogspot.com/2009/08/error-in-spanish-bean-soup-recipe.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...