Wednesday 26 August 2009

Barbecued vegetables (and a bit of lamb)

We haven't done much barbecuing this summer. Although the weather has generally been better than last year, there has been a lot of afternoon rain. But last week we had several consecutive hot, dry days. Far too hot to cook indoors, we ferreted around in the fridge to see what we could put on the fire. Some lamb leg steaks came out of the freezer, a couple of globe artichokes (I know - just after I said that all artichokes in our house become fritters!), a couple of courgettes and some nice flat portobello mushrooms.

I pared back the artichokes to the base and scooped out the choke, cut them in half and dunked them in acidulated water, before rolling them in a bit of olive oil. The courgettes also got the olive oil, and the mushrooms got some chopped garlic and a little oil.

Then Paul stepped in for the actual cooking. The vegetables all needed a lot longer than the thinly cut lamb.

I made a dressing of garlic, a bit of bought bearnaise sauce and some white wine vinegar. A drizzle of the dressing over the (very brown) plate. A grinding of pepper. And it was a very comfortable way to end the day.

10 comments:

NKP said...

A lovely mixed grill, perfect summer eating!

HH said...

Sounds great FC! As the weather warms up here I will have to do this, as I love BBQ'd vegies, the bit of lamb sounds pretty good too!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Natashya - thanks! It's a lot cooler this week, so it's hard to remember that we are still doing summer food!

HH - barbecued veg is wonderful, isn't it?

Heather S-G said...

Looks delicious...nice relaxing meal. I could go for it :D

Stacey said...

I love grilled veggies and I really love lamb! I wish it was less expensive, I would make it all the time!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Girli - I didn't have to do a lot, so it was very relaxing!

Stacey - Lamb doesn't seem to be nearly as popular in the US as it is in Australia and England. No wonder it it expensive!

Bettina Douglas said...

Very tasty. BBQ zucchini is the best way to eat it.

Natalie Que said...

Oh Foody you read my mind on the bananas!

These veg look incredible and could not make me more excited for summer and grilling season Down Unda. Your artichokes are so beautiful they bring a tear to the eye!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mother - I've totally come around to zucchini, but my favourite is barbecued!

Garlic - not long now and the weather will be perfect for barbecues!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks like the perfect meal grilled veggies and lamb too--yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...