Thursday 7 May 2009

Tonno di Coniglio


After the lovely rabbit salad that I had on St George's Day, I decided that I wanted to make one myself. As it happened, I had a rabbit in the freezer. I remembered eating a marinated rabbit salad once that was described as tonno di coniglio (rabbit cooked like tuna), which was precisely the effect I was going for.

Judy Witt showed me the way with her very straightforward recipe. A few days to marinade and there it was.

In a salad with lovely tender mixed leaves, some marinated artichoke hearts and some chopped up pork scratchings to give a crunch, and a splash of sherry vinegar to dress, it made a lovely light lunch. The rabbit comes out with a very similar texture to tinned tuna, but tastes like chicken.

5 comments:

kat said...

Wow, now that is a completely new one to me. I can't even think if I've ever had rabbit

Sam said...

I've heard of this before but never seen it done, it's certainly an interesting recipe and one that I'd love to try.

MrOrph said...

Wow!

Now you have me thoroughly intrigued.

I have to mark this.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kat - this is the second time I've cooked rabbit. First time was horrible.

Sam - it's worth a go. I'd use farmed rabbit for it!

Donald - it's very tasty, give it a go!

Heather said...

Wow, this is fantastic. I'm always looking for a new way with bunny (I'm so over a leek-y braise), and this is perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...