Monday 11 May 2009

Oatmeal honey bread

Ever since I saw this fabulous recipe on Laurie's blog, I have been keen to try her oatmeal honey bread. And you know what? It tastes as good as it looks.

My only tweaks - half stoneground wholemeal flour, half strong white flour, and I used dried yeast, so I added some of the honey to the warm water to activate my yeast. And I made a half quantity, although I think my loaf tin must be a fair bit bigger than Laurie's, because despite rising really well, I ended up with quite a thin loaf. But it was so good that next time I am going the whole hog. Just gorgeous. Tender, flavourful crumb, chewy crust.

15 comments:

Heather said...

yum!! i love homemade bread! the oatmeal sounds so good :D

kat said...

Its got lovely color

Alicia Foodycat said...

Heather - I'm a bit hit & miss with the yeast cookery, but this was an excellent recipe.

Kat - thanks!

Sarah said...

I've had my own bread troubles, as you know - yeast can be tricky. This loaf sounds wonderful and rustic, especially with the touch of honey.

Darius T. Williams said...

oatmeal and honey? delish!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Sarah - it's enough to bring out the sweetness of the oats, but not so much that you think you are eating dessert!

Darius - thanks!

NKP said...

Looks tasty! I love oats and honey.

Stacey said...

Wow that looks delicious! I love the way you cut each piece thick too.

HH said...

Looks great FC, I would have to use strong flour wouldn't I? (I want to make it but am out of strong flour and can't get to the shops.)

Bettina Douglas said...

I just had to make porridge with honey for breakfast after looking at the bread.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Natashya - thanks!

Stacey - well it was quite a flat loaf, so my slices needed to be thick!

HH - I think so. It needs the gluten.

Mother - at least you weren't driven to athol brose by the combination!

Alexandra Stafford said...

i love this kind of recipe. what is more comforting than oatmeal-honey bread? warm and spread with butter, what a treat!

alexandra
www.alexandracooks.com

Gemma said...

Yum, that looks delicious. I need to test some baking in our new oven so just trying to decide what's first...

Alicia Foodycat said...

Ali - we've got goat's milk butter in the house at the moment. The slight cheesiness with the warm bread was perfect!

Gemma - good luck with the new oven!

Leslie said...

there is nothing better than hamemade bread.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...