Saturday 14 November 2009

Venison stew with parsnip & apple mash

The lens got a bit steamed up on this one...

We had a houseguest who was getting all excited about seasonal produce in the UK. So I decided that we had to make a feature of game for at least one meal while she was with us!

I had some beetroot as well, so I scratched about the internet and found this recipe for a venison and beetroot casserole. I did it almost as written... but I used dried shiitake mushrooms instead of fresh chestnut mushrooms, didn't put carrots in and used beef stock instead of vegetable stock. And I didn't marinate the meat because I find that often wine-based marinades dry out the meat too much. And I finished the dish with a beurre manie, to thicken it slightly and give it a rich sheen.

As a side dish, I wanted something equally seasonal, so I decided on a parsnip mash.

Parsnip & Apple Mustard Mash

3 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 bramley apple, peeled and chopped
knob of butter
slurp of cream
1tbs seeded mustard (I used a cider mustard)
salt, white pepper & nutmeg

Boil the parsnips in salted water until tender. Drain and shake until dry. In a separate pan, in the tiniest bit of water, cook the apples until they are fluffy. Puree the apples and parsnips together (I used a food processor but a ricer or a fork would be just fine) with the butter, cream and mustard. Return to the pan and reheat, seasoning with salt, freshly ground white pepper and a little nutmeg.

8 comments:

HH said...

I love parsnips, but have never mashed them with apples...but it sounds like a fantastic combination!! I will be trying the next parsnips I see! The stew sounds wonderful too!

George Gaston said...

What an amazing meal! I love venison stews. Great idea to add apple to mashed parsnips. I am definitely going to fix this entire meal some time. Many thanks...

kat said...

Its deer season here so we were just talking about what to do with venison, not that Matt is out hunting or anything...

Simona Carini said...

A very interesting combination of flavors and also of colors. I like parsnips and will try mashing them with apples.

Alicia Foodycat said...

HH - it was good, you'll need some really sour apples for it.

George - please do!

Kat - it's a great seasonal food, isn't it?

Simona - I think you will like it. It made a lovely mash.

mscrankypants said...

I've never met a parsnip I've liked, but the thought of mash with apples sounds like just the thing to soften them -- yum.

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a great fall meal and three wonderful ingredients too--Yum!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Cranky, you don't like parsnips? Oh no!

Deb - thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...