Saturday 28 November 2009

Parmesan Custard with Anchovy Toast

One of the best things I have eaten this year is the Parmesan Custard with Anchovy Toast at Le Cafe Anglais. My dining partner in crime Jude found that the recipe was available on t'internet, so I have been patiently biding my time and waiting for a moment when I could make it.

The moment came. And other than the fact that I reached for the wrong jar of red powder, so it was seasoned with smoked paprika instead of cayenne, I followed the recipe exactly. Sadly, it was a little disappointing. It wasn't as cheesy and it was a lot runnier than I remembered. The anchovy toasts (done in a frying pan and squashed with a spatula because I don't have a pannini press) were very delicious, and the whole thing made a decadent and delicious brunch. But it just wasn't as good as Rowley's. Might have to go back to try his again; see where I went wrong.

16 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks really good--maybe another try will perfect it like you remember.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when you have the recipe and then it doesn't turn out the way you remember it! I would probably use double cream instead, reduce the milk to 200ml and up the parmesan to 150g. I am sure it would be thick and cheesy that way!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Deb - I am thinking about taking Paul there for his birthday to have another taste.

Jo - I think you are right about changing the proportions. I probably need a better quality cheese too.

Jude said...

The original was gorgeous with the consistency of a fondue. I think you definitely have to go back.

Esi said...

I've never tried a savory custard, but it sounds interesting. Hopefully you can get some pointers the next time you go back to the restaurant.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Jude - just working on Paul!

Esi - go for Japanese and order chawan mushi, it's a good introduction to savoury custard.

Simona Carini said...

This custard sounds decadent and certainly worth a second try. The photo looks quite nice.

Heather S-G said...

Looks so right to me! Anchovy toasts...oi, I want to dip them in and go to town!! YUM :D

mscrankypants said...

My god, I could possibly eat a whole saucepan of parmesan custard from how it looks alone. Paul needs to take one for your blog readers and accompany you to re-sample the original!

Bettina Douglas said...

It sounds delicious (and the genetic problem with egg custard continues?)
I agree with Jodi - the proportions as given don't seem right.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Simona - thanks!

Heather - I could have eaten so much of the anchovy toast!

Cranky - I am working on it!

Mother - the original was more the texture of bechamel than a normal egg custard, but this still wasn't thick enough.

Chef Aimee said...

One of my fellow supper-clubbers said she loves loves loves anchovy toast and makes it often. I may have to try now, too!

kat said...

Yeah, you have to go back, for more research right

Just Cook It said...

I have to try this...

Alicia Foodycat said...

Aimee - you should definitely try the anchovy toast!

Kat - I will make the booking today.

Alex - could be good for Christmas.

greenwords said...

Recipe replication woes aside, this dish sounds absolutely divine. Anchovy toast! Parmesan custard! What a combo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...