Thursday 5 November 2009

Nutmeg & Apple Buns

We had some friends staying for the weekend, so I decided that it'd be nice to make some spiced buns for breakfast.

These spiced plum buns worked well but I was keen to get something really traditionally British into them: the Bramley apple. Bramley's are what they call a cooking apple over here - they are quite sour and collapse into fluff when you cook them. They are the best thing in the world for making apple sauce to go with pork or goose.

I also wanted to make the buns a bit more decadent, so I had a crack at making a laminated dough. It worked very well, although I didn't do quite as many folds as I should have.

The friends I was making these for had sent me a gift of some lovely nutmeg jam from Grenada, so I wanted to feature that as well. To make the nutmeg flavour stand out I left the cardamom out of the dough, spread it thickly with the jam and sprinkled it with a chopped Bramley and a handful of dried sour cherries before rolling, slicing and baking.

I think next time I will definitely do the laminated dough again, but actually make a proper croissant pastry. These were lighter than a normal yeasted bun, and you could see how delicious and rich they would have been if I had persevered with the rolling and folding.

12 comments:

lapetitepipistrelle said...

It was *such* a lovely indulgent treat to come padding down to the kitchen and be greeted by a fragrant tray of plump apple buns still warm from the oven!

That tartness from the Bramleys you used were just the thing to cut the richness—we did love that they were moist and fluffy enough to be eaten plain, straight out of the hand!

::giggle:: The third bun I sneaked from the tray on the second morning was just as nice as morning one!

George Gaston said...

What a terrific way to honor your guest by making a special breakfast treat. But you went even further and included something they gave you as an ingredient ~ the mark of a gracious host. Bravo!

These breakfast buns look amazing and only wish I had one to go with my morning cup of coffee.

kat said...

Laminated dough really is easier than we think isn't it as long as you have the time to devote to it.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Pips - I am glad you loved them! The Cap'n J certainly seemed to hoover them too.

George - I confess I am also a bit sad to have run out of them! I finished the nutmeg jam too, which was a shame.

Kat - I was so surprised! I must give them another go now that I know.

Arlene Delloro said...

These look delicious and I'll bet they smelled amazing.

Anonymous said...

You are so right: bramleys are the best for apple sauce. Your buns must have smelled amazing while cooking! I have never heard of nutmeg jam before, sounds very intriguing.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Arlene - oh I like your new profile pic! The did smell good. Hot butter, sugar and spice is so hard to beat.

Johanna - the nutmeg jam is amazing stuff. Apparently it is a product indigenous to Grenada and it is made from the pericarp of the fruit, so it is slightly nutmeggy and delicious!

Sam said...

I love Bramley apples I can just imagine how good these buns were!

NKP said...

A laminated dough is such a treat. I love your nutmeg and apple buns! So great to come home to on a cold autumn day.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Oh Foodycat, I'd love to try these Bramley apples. I don't think I've seen them at the store. Are they unique to the UK? Anyway, great buns!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Sam - bramleys are so amazing, aren't they?

Natashya - the smell in the house while they were cooking was awesome.

Teresa - yes, you only seem to get bramleys in the UK. They are a wonderful local product!

Heather S-G said...

Wow...the flavor in these buns sounds spectacular! Lucky guests :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...