Monday 1 December 2014

Salt butter caramels: A gift from the heart for IHCC

This week's I Heart Cooking Clubs theme is "Gifts from the Heart". Now, the gifts I like to receive are either quite practical - money towards new linens, socks - or very beautiful, ephemeral and indulgent things I would never buy for myself.

These caramels fall firmly into the latter category.

I used a 10 x 7" pan instead of the loaf tin specified in Diana Henry's recipe, so they were a bit thinner, but because they are a soft (chewy but not filling-ripping) caramel, it's possible to gently press them into a fatter shape when you cut them, if you prefer. I didn't mind the thinner ones but I did need to do a little squashing to get them back into a nice square shape.

These were absolutely gorgeous. Sweet, but with some richer dark caramel notes and the hint of salt, creamy and utterly delectable. A gift from the heart that any caramel lover would be delighted to receive.

7 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

These would be a welcome gift in my house! I already like the name, sounds so yummy! Such a lovely treat!

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

An indulgent treat, indeed!

Alicia Foodycat said...

KF - they were wonderful! I sent some to work with my husband but the rest disappeared in the house.

Leaf - so, so good!

Zosia said...

Oooh.....I'd have to fight off the rest of the family to get a taste of these (but my husband would be very happy to know that enjoying them wouldn't entail an emergency trip to the dentist!)

grace said...

i do like my filling where it is...soft is definitely the way to go. :)
these are lovely!

Susan Lindquist said...

I respect anyone who makes candy! I'm intimidated by the whole temperature gauging thing that is involved when boiling sugar to 'soft ball stage' ... I always think things are going to get out of control and turn into sugar bricks ... good for you making such a success out of this recipe!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Wow, this is exactly the kind of gift I would love to receive, not least because I've never been game to try making caramels myself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...