Monday 22 December 2014

A brace of Christmas cocktails

"Except at times of special revelry, I am exceedingly moderate in my potations. A brace of cocktails, a glass of wine at dinner and possibly a liqueur with the coffee – that is Bertram Wooster." 
- P.G Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters.

I've finalised the Christmas feasting menu. I think. Mostly. Anyway, we are again going to have snacky canapes and drinks on one day, and a big roast on another day, so that we can eat lots of festive food without  stuffing ourselves like foie gras geese.

As well as the food menu (which I am quite proud of and will be posting about next week), I've been working on developing a couple of Christmassy drinks - after all, Christmas is a time of special revelry, so making a bit of effort with the brace of cocktails is called for.

Coconut rum punch (serves 2)

This is a lighter, spicier version of the Brazilian batida de coco cocktail - creamy, but not as heavy as eggnog. It's quite sweet, so might be best as a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, or instead of dessert.

50ml coconut rum
50ml spiced rum
125ml coconut water
75ml condensed milk

Shaken on ice, garnished with nutmeg or cinnamon.

Duffel Coat (serves 2)

It's warmingly alcoholic and flavoured with Paddington's favourite. Even the Campari naysayers will be seduced, because it just adds a little interesting bitterness to cut through the sweetness and makes it a very pretty colour.

50ml Campari
50ml The Kings Ginger
75ml Marmalade vodka

Shaken on ice, topped up with Fever Tree Naturally Lighter ginger beer


1 comment:

grace said...

the tougher people in my life laugh at my love for rum, but it's my favorite. pair it with coconut and i'm smitten!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...