Wednesday 10 December 2014

Christmas leftovers - white stilton and apricot cheesecake

 

This post has been sitting in my drafts folder for almost a year. By the time I started it, back in January, I figured that everyone was heartily sick of leftovers and on diets, but I knew I still wanted to post it, because it's actually really good. And it answers the age-old middle class question of what the heck you do with that dreadful fruity Stilton.

I am genuinely not much of a cheese snob. I love that cream cheese with the apricots and ginger, and the nuts around the outside. I love that highly processed smoke-flavoured "Bavarian" cheese. I love sage Derby. I just happen to think that white Stilton or Wensleydale with fruit in it is a waste of good cheese. Yet somehow I always end up with some.

This cheesecake uses the fruity cheese, and also the stale pandoro or panettone that someone gave you. It's delicious - but I wouldn't buy the cheese specially.

White Stilton and apricot cheesecake (makes 1 dinky little 6" cheesecake which serves 4-6)

120g stale pandoro
2tbs Cointreau
100g caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
240g white stilton with apricots (although to be perfectly honest, mine was 150g white stilton with apricots and 90g wensleydale with cranberries)
200g full-fat cream cheese
80g double cream with Cointreau

Preheat the oven to 160C.

Cut the pandoro into thin slices and press into the base and sides of a 6" springform tin. Even stale it should stick to itself nicely and leave no gaps. Sprinkle with the Cointreau.

Beat together the sugar and egg yolks until pale and frothy, then crumble in the cheese, cream cheese and boozy cream. Beat until smooth-ish.

Whisk the egg whites to firm peaks, and fold into the cheese mixture in two batches.

Pour the mixture into the pandoro case. Bake for 45 minutes or until nicely set in the middle and golden brown at the edges. Allow to cool completely before loosening the springform.

5 comments:

Suelle said...

That sounds a tasty little cheesecake - almost worth buying the cheese for! I don't generally like cheese with bits in, but I do like the white stiltons with fruit or ginger - a slice on a digestive biscuit is almost a cheesecake with no work involved!

Faux Fuchsia said...

looks so good!!!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

A very creative use of leftover cheese and it has turned out awesome, Alicia.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Suelle - I can see that! I might have to try one with ginger.

FF - it was!

Angie - thanks!

grace said...

there's nothing dinky about your tiny cheesecake from where i'm sitting! lovely flavors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...