Monday 6 August 2012

Meat-free Monday - Glazed beetroot and carrots

Urchin was fascinated by the mess of preparing beetroot
 Another veg box, another pile of carrots and beetroot. I roasted them separately (the beetroot whole, wrapped in foil, the carrots peeled and cut into chunks and rolled with a little olive oil) until tender, which takes much, much longer than you think it should. When the beetroot was tender, I peeled it and cut it into chunks and combined it with the carrots, and tossed it with a mixture of 2tbs maple syrup, 1tbs balsamic and 1/2 tsp chipotle paste.

Makes a good side dish, or a meal in itself with some cheese on toast. Or just some feta crumbled on top would be nice.

Amazing colour

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, I bet it would be good with goat cheese also!

Bettina Douglas said...

how long?

Mary Bergfeld said...

The color of your dish is amazing. I'll wager this was delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Alicia Foodycat said...

Cafe Sucre - definitely good with goats cheese!

Mother - these had 1 1/2 hours and could have done with longer. Definitely better to do when you already have something in the oven.

Mary - the colour is wonderful, isn't it?

hungryandfrozen said...

Sounds wonderful! And I love that photo of curious Urchin - so dark and mysterious!

Barbara said...

Very interesting vinaigrette! Would never have occurred to me to use maple syrup! Roasting those veggies would make them so flavorful! Yes, goat cheese might be a perfect addition.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Oh I love the photo of Urchin. So curious, haha. We love beets especially when roasted.

Hotly Spiced said...

I love carrots and beetroot and I think they're best roasted. It really does bring out the flavour. I'm sure this was really delicious especially with the dressing you put on them - and colourful too! xx

grace said...

i do love the color of beets...as long as it stays on the beets and not on my clothes and/or body. it's futile, though. meanwhile, your kitty is adorable and i love her name!

Caroline said...

Amazing colour. I wonder why veg always takes so much longer to roast than you think it's going to. I do like the idea of adding feta to it too - creamy and delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...