Friday 24 August 2012

Emptying the veg box in 2 dishes


Some weeks the veg box just gets away from me. An unplanned meal out, a craving for something different or a bunch of leftovers that need using up and all of a sudden the fridge is packed with vegetables that are slightly past their best.

I had one of those weeks recently. And I totally outdid myself by clearing the backlog in just two dishes.


I had some nice chicken stock made from the wingtips from my wings al ajillo, which always leads me towards a risotto. So half a marrow, a green onion, a big bunch of large broad beans and a handful of frozen peas went in that direction. It's a very good use for a marrow!

But of course, it meant I still had half a marrow. I also had half an aged butternut, a small cauliflower, another green onion and a couple of potatoes. I sliced it all up and put it in a pyrex dish, poured a mixture of cream, buttermilk and vermouth over it, then topped it with a really decadent bacon crumb topping (a couple of cloves of garlic, some bacon, some torn up bread and a spoonful of bacon jam, pulsed in the food processor until it is crumbly) and baked it until the veg was tender and the topping was crunchy and golden. Delicious. The crumb topping gave a real savoury punch, the buttermilk and vermouth added tang and cut through the richness a bit and the butternut and bacon kept it from being too blandly beige.

Bacon makes everything good

7 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

You should clear your veggie box oftener ;-) The two dishes look mouthwatering.

Anne said...

I often think some of the best meals are born out of fridge suprise!

And yes 'Bacon makes everything good' is completely true!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Angie - thanks!

Anne - it's a good way to eat, isn't it? Even if it comes together looking a bit random.

Dining Alone said...

Yum, bacon does make everything good :) Have a great weekend.

Sian said...

bacon jam? where did you get that? sounds delish

Sian
http://kitchenfairies.blogspot.co.uk/

Caroline said...

I think I've had one of those weeks this week, I dread to think what's lurking in my fridge. I'll have to take a leaf out of your book and use it up - these both look delicious.

Simona Carini said...

Well done! Both dishes look really nice. I am on my way to getting behind this week. Aversion to waste any of the good stuff makes us creative, which is good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...