Monday 16 April 2012

Meat Free Monday: sweet potato and corn fritters

These are very obedient little things. I had in mind something similar to my corn and sweet potato pancakes, but a bit more pakora-y. I ended up chucking all sorts of veg that wanted using up into them and they were fantastic. They also reheated well in the microwave (losing a bit of crispness but you can't have everything) so they made a very good work lunch.

These would be SO easy and quick if you have a food processor with a grating attachment. But I don't. Still easy but the veg prep is a bit time-consuming.

I served them with a garlicky blue cheese dip. Made with teaspoonfuls of batter, they'd make a really excellent nibble for a drinks party and the recipe is easy enough to size down if you aren't batch-cooking for a week's meals. I deep-fried but I can't really see them coming to any harm if you shallow fry. Just make sure they are set quite firmly before you try to flip them.

Sweet potato and corn fritters (makes about 20)

3 sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
4 cobs of corn, kernels sliced off
1 onion, finely sliced
2 leeks, finely sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
small bunch of coriander, chopped
3 large eggs
2 cups self-raising flour, approx
salt, pepper and smoked paprika

Mix all the veg in a large bowl with the eggs and season with salt, pepper and a little smoked paprika, then add flour until it forms a pretty thick batter.

Heat 2" of oil in a deep saucepan to 180C, then press handfuls of the batter into balls and carefully drop into the oil. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, in batches, draining well on kitchen paper.

6 comments:

GingerSnap said...

Sweet potato is yummy, and I bet so were these fritters! And ugh, I hate how time-consuming veg prep is :P

Simona Carini said...

They look so nice and crisp!

mscrankypants said...

They look wonderful, and a good way to use leftover or excess veges. I might make some and try to find my recipe for yoghurt dip with dill and lemon (oh, that's probably all the ingredients!)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gingersnap - the prep is a bit offputting!

Simona - crisp outside and tender in the middle.

Cranky - a yoghurt dip would be excellent with them!

Barbara said...

Amazing! What a perfect idea for game days too. I'm saving this recipe for fall......but am going to make it next chance I get. What a super combo.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Alas, I jammed my food processor's grating attachment on it's holder. I so hate manually grating veggies but these look worth it! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...