Tuesday 8 December 2009

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

My spaghetti squash bolognaise was so good that I decided that spaghetti squash should turn up on our menus more often. I had a couple of my not-entirely-successful parmesan custards left over, so I decided that the best possible use for them was a spaghetti squash carbonara.

I cut the spaghetti squash in half and laid them, cut side down, on a greased sheet of foil on a baking tray, and baked them for about 45 minutes on 180C. In a sautee pan I fried a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and a packet of snipped jamon in a little olive oil, then added the runny parmesan custards and another handful of grated parmesan. I scooped the seeds out of the baked and slightly cooled squash, then shredded the flesh into the sautee pan. When it was all piping hot, I divided it between our serving bowls and topped it with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Delicious! Much better than the original custards, and because of the squash it felt much lighter to eat than a cream-based pasta sauce usually is.

17 comments:

HH said...

Excellent idea on the custards fc!! I am becoming increasingly intrigued by this spaghetti squash...is it available on Aus? (sorry i I have already asked you this!)

kat said...

Oh I never thought of using spaghetti squash for carbonara, great idea!

Alicia Foodycat said...

HH - I've seen it in Oz, but not very often!

Kat - it was really tasty

George Gaston said...

All I can say is Yum! Great way to add a vegetable to this classic dish. Many thanks for the idea.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

what a great idea for this... on Carbonara... who knew???

Misty said...

Delicious!

Thanks for the comment over at my place - the pickles are indeed battered and deep-fried. :)

Arlene Delloro said...

I remember my sense of wonder the first time I made spaghetti squash. It was like magic. I think a carbonara sauce on it would be heavenly. Yours looks absolutely delicious.

mscrankypants said...

I'm having 'normal' spaghetti for dinner with low-fat tomato sauce and veges. I want your spaghetti squash with a creamy sauce instead!

hungryandfrozen said...

Yum! Squash can taste so rich and creamy even though it's just a vegetable...this sounds lovely. And resourceful! :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love spaghetti squash and love the idea of making it into a carbonara--a fun idea!

Alicia Foodycat said...

George - glad you like it.

Year on the grill - I feel too guilty to have carbonara usually!

Ben - oh you will like this one!

Misty - amazing. I have got to find somewhere that does them!

Arlene - aren't they amazing? I find it unbelievable the way they fall to shreds!

Cranky - spag with tomato sauce is good too!

Laura - thanks!

Deb - I'm sure you could reduce the fat content a bit too.

NKP said...

Sounds delish! I have always baked them whole, with slits stabbed in them so they don't explode. I like your halved version much better.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Oh YUM. This sounds so good right now. Cold windy weather for us in Texas. So a big plate of spaghetti squash would be perfect. :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Natashya - halving them works really well.

Teresa - it's cold here too!Trying to find warming food that isn't too fattening is a challenge.

Esi said...

I still have not tried spaghetti squash yet. It sounds good!

Simona Carini said...

A very creative use of existing resources. Interesting how you used something you were not particularly happy to prepare something very satisfying.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Esi - I am really enjoying it. I'm trying to get more vegetables into my diet!

SImona - thanks, I thought I was pretty clever, actually.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...