Saturday 23 August 2008

The VGT Omnivore's Hundred

A meme that is going around at the moment - I saw it (with cool video bits) on Jenn's blog. I am not a fan of combat/competitive eating, so I see this as more of a list of things that you might not have thought of to try. I think it is funny that 3 of the items I have tried in the last fortnight! Brawn, plantain and sweetbreads. I am a pretty adventurous and wide-roaming eater but I still only got 74%. And several of the remaining 26% are on the "no way, no how" list.

Here is what you do:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. (I can't figure out how to strike through in blogger and it won't let me use word formatting, so this is a work in progress ETA Arlene at the Food of Love had the very good thought to make those ones red, So I will do that!)
And my own addition - italicise the ones you had to look up!

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare

6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (many, many glasses of Japanese plum wine, which is apparently made with a type of apricot, not plum)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn or head cheese (brawn fritters just recently)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche

28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda (I haven’t had this in ages! Must make it again)
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam Chowder
in Sourdough Bowl (lots of chowder, no bowl)
33. Salted lassi (lots of sweet, no salted)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted Cream Tea (that’s scones with jam and clotted cream, for any ignorant foreigners)
38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat

42. Whole insects
43. Phaal (now I know what it is, I wouldn’t try it, I don’t like really firey curries)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more (wasted on me – I’m not a huge fan, but apparently some of the Scotch I drank last week was in that class)
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala (ick – sweet and bland)
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini I'm not a martini fan, so I probably won't
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (would love to try though!)
60. Carob chips (ick – abomination against chocolate)
61. S’mores (I don't think so! They sound sickly sweet)
62. Sweetbreads (as of last week!)
63. kaolin (it’s one of the active ingredients in some fantastic anti-spasmodic medicine)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
(as of a couple of weeks ago)
70. Chitterlings or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe (ick – aniseed)
74. Gjetost
or brunost
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie (now I know what they are I don’t think so! They sound horrible)
78. Snail
79. Lapsang Souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum
82. Eggs Benedict

83. Pocky (I keep meaning to, they sound weird!)
84. 3 Michelin Star Tasting Menu (only 2 star so far, woe is me!)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers

89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa

94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake


Sarah said...

Fun! So you have not yet sampled a root beer float? My dear, it is time! Scoop some vanilla ice cream into a tall glass, then pour root beer over it (watch out, it'll be fizzy!). Stick a straw in it, and swoon. It's a true southern treat (the American south, that is), and no summer is complete without one!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I have had coke floats (or coke "spiders" as we call them in Oz) and ginger ale spiders but I can't remember ever seeing root beer in a shop!

Darius T. Williams said...

I saw this floating around...I was sooo gonna do it. But, I need to come up with one that's more um...culturally appealing.


Bettina Douglas said...

Is root beer what we call sarsparilla?

Alicia Foodycat said...

If it is, then I have had sarsparilla but didn't really like it.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...