Friday 27 February 2015

Caramel blood oranges with sour cream rice pudding.

The blood orange season is quite brief, so I pounced on them as soon as I saw them. Then had the pleasurable dilemma of what to make with them: blood orange curd? Marmalade? Ice cream? But I'd also been craving rice pudding, so when I saw Diana Henry's recipe for caramel blood oranges with sour cream rice pudding, my path was clear.

There's always a little anxiety surrounding cutting into a blood orange - sometimes they have hardly any red to them at all. These were pleasantly bloody though.

In a word, the whole dish was divine. The sour cream provides a tangy foil to the rich caramel and sweet citrus. Definitely one to make again, even with other citrus when the blood orange season ends.

I am sharing this with I Heart Cooking Clubs for their February potluck.

9 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Gorgeous dessert! I have never tried nor seen blood orange before, have been keeping a lookout for them though!
Your dessert looks so good, am wishing that I have some to enjoy right now!

Zosia said...

I love the surprise of cutting into a blood orange, never knowing what to expect. I think the variegated ones like yours are the prettiest. Gorgeous with that dessert.

grace said...

oh, this is SO pretty! this is a classy dish that isn't too in-your-face, and that's just what i like. :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Beautiful! And what a wonderful combination of flavors and ingredients. Blood orange season is way too short for sure! ;-)

Barbara said...

Love blood oranges! What a super way to show them off AND have an amazing dessert besides. Rice pudding is such a comfort food and you've upped it with the oranges. Yum!

flour.ish.en said...

I'd love to get my hands on blood oranges. The dish looks so enticing and bright!

Bettina Douglas said...

You know me: love rice pudding anytime, anywhere, any flavour

Joanne said...

This is really such a lovely dish! A great celebration of blood oranges!

Kim said...

Wow!This is an extremely stunning dish!!! Blood oranges certainly are a celebration of color. Yours were in fact full of color and remind me of a sunset. They look perfectly glazed and oh so sticky! I imagine this dessert was somewhat exotic and divine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...