Saturday 1 November 2014

Diana Henry's soy-braised chicken for I Heart Cooking Clubs

This week's theme for I Heart Cooking Clubs is What came first... the chicken or the egg? And very conveniently, I had one of Diana Henry's chicken dishes in hand - chicken and pumpkin braised with soy and star anise from A Change of Appetite. I mean, a chicken theme for Diana Henry is a bit of a no-brainer, since I believe her next book is actually going to be on chicken, and all of her books so far have done a good line in chicken recipes. I used butternut squash instead of pumpkin, calamondins instead of oranges and it was absolutely delicious.

11 comments:

Bettina Douglas said...

Yes this is a good recipe.

ostwestwind said...

I don't serve chicken very often, because organic chicken is very expensive. This looks delicious.

Joanne said...

I JUST got A Change of Appetite and am so excited to start cooking from it! This has gotten me even more inspired.

Ms Howtheylived said...

This looks so delicious! I was wondering about that cookbook -- thanks for sharing from it!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mother - definitely worth doing again!

Ostwestwind - the price has come down quite a lot in the UK, it's quite reasonable now.

Joanne - there are SO many good recipes in it!

Ms HTL - I did a whole post on it a couple of months ago. I've cooked from it a lot and it's all been good.

Chef Mireille said...

I love anything with pumpkin especially at this time of year

Zosia said...

Looks like a delicious way to use seasonal ingredients.

kitchen flavours said...

Looks delicious! The first thing I noticed when I went thru her recipes was her chicken recipes, love them! I'm eyeing on that new book of hers on chicken!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

i have just about every chicken dish in A Change of Appetite bookmarked. This one will definitely be making the cut when autumn returns to my part of the world. I've already made the chicken and fennel which was great. I think you're right - I'm sure DH has a chicken cookbook in her :-)

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love the soy and star anise combination--especially when combined with the pumpkin. This looks like a satisfying dish and perfect for fall.
;-)

Kim said...

I love the flavors in this recipe. A little exotic and very warming, making this recipe perfect for fall. The color from the butternut squash is gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...