Friday 23 April 2010

Pulled Brisket Sandwiches

I had a brisket in the fridge, but not enough space for a tupperware for curing it. So I decided to have a crack at that classic of Southern American cooking, the pulled brisket. Now the last time I tried to do pulled meat, it wasn't very successful. I guess an English supermarket chain aren't the best people to get recipes from for American dishes. So I turned to an American website, and found this recipe, which very conveniently used the chipotle in adobo that I bought recently. I don't have a slow cooker, so I did it in a Le Creuset in the oven on a low temperature for 4 hours, and that was perfect. And that was the meat sorted out.

But of course, woman cannot live on meat alone - even lovely luscious, sauce-rich shreds of pulled brisket. I've had an ambition to bake good hamburger buns, ever so slightly sweet, not too heavy but substantial enough to hold together under a weight of delicious filling. I found this recipe, on Rosa's Yummy Yums, which certainly seemed to answer. I used some whey instead of water, and they were perfect. Absolute heaven. This will definitely be my go-to recipe, although I think that for our appetites, making 6 buns out of the dough is probably a better idea.

I had a small green cabbage, and a red pepper in the fridge, so coleslaw seemed obvious. I don't like really creamy coleslaw, and this recipe for Emeril's Kicked Up Cole Slaw sounded really good. It was tangy, light and delicious.

All in all, these were fantastic sandwiches! And the next day we had leftover meat, with some leftover coleslaw, and some baked beans, with some bacon and smoky barbecue sauce added, to make them more interesting. I still have a container of the meat in the freezer - I think that will probably be tacos at some stage down the track.

This wonderful sandwich is going for Souper (soup, salad and sammie) Sundays at Deb's Kahakai Kitchen - do check and see what else is in the round up this week!SouperSundays

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Your ambition staggers me! First the pulled beef; then the rolls and to top it off, Emeril's cole slaw! All for one meal. Wow.

kat said...

We love pulled beef! Its great cooked inside but its to die for if you can do it on a grill or smoker. You buns look absolutely perfect

Lazaro Cooks said...

I love a brisket sandwich and yours looks tasty. Wonderful recipe. Cheers!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Gorgeous! The pork and those sandwich buns both look amazing! I just did a kalua pork (a form of pulled pork--with liquid smoke and Hawaiian salt) in the slow cooker this past week and have been enjoying it in sandwiches, tacos, etc. Yum!

Thanks for sending your sandwich over to Souper Sundays too. ;-)

Bettina Douglas said...

Yum. I adapted the coleslaw (don't have buttermilk in the fridge but do have plain yoghurt) for a home grown cabbage.

Will do the brisket in winter. What is the culinary heritage of these "pulled" meats?

Alicia Foodycat said...

Barbara - it was a weekend, I had time!

Kat - must give that a go. Rosa's bun recipe is superb.

Lazaro - thank you!

Deb - I've never used liquid smoke, but I like the sound of it.

Mother - home grown cabbage! Wow! Pulled meats seem to be a typical part of Southern American cooking. You barbecue a tough cut really slowly with lots of basting until it falls to shreds, then you moisten with a bit more sauce. Makes it very portable for church picnics and so on! And freezes well.

Chef Aimee said...

Oh wow what an amazing meal! The buns look so good and I would inhale those on their own I think!

SKIP TO MALOU said...

i have to tell you how ilove those golden cute buns,,, looking at the pulled brisket in it makes me want to take a biiiig bite right now hahaha..

Alicia Foodycat said...

Aimee - the buns definitely stood up to being eaten by themselves!

Malou - thanks!

Gemma said...

Love pulled meat - feeling a weekend project coming on! I wish it was easier, or at all possible, to find slightly sweet burger buns here, I've been semi obsessed with them ever since eating burgers in New York!

grace said...

'chipotle in adobo'--music to my ears. 'homemade hamburger buns'--magic. 'pulled meat with cole slaw'--and i'm done. it doesn't get better. bravo to you!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gemma - this bun recipe is incredibly easy!

Grace - thank you!

Unknown said...

good looking bread rolls you have there...

Unknown said...

I've tried to post under my username but your 'choose an identity' option won't let me post it...the choice it gives me to post under 'openID' none of them I'm signed up with...shame as I was hoping to return and comment :)

Unknown said...

ooh just realised I didn't say what my ID name was:

www.azeliaskitchen.net

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...