Saturday 19 April 2008

Full English


This week the Times decided to get all silly and try to provoke controversy by publishing a debate on the Full English breakfast. Now, I love Giles Coren; I read his reviews with eagerness every weekend and take heed of his opinions. But he has Gone Too Far in denouncing the Full English Breakfast.

It isn't something for every day. In fact, I don't think it is something for every weekend, but it is a lovely occasional treat. I think the one I have just finished eating was an excellent example of the genre, too.

The thing that looks like a hockey puck is, of course, lovely Scottish black pudding, fried until crunchy on the outside and meltingly tender in the middle. Outdoor-reared, dry-cured smoked bacon. A fried tomato (only a tiny half - I thought I had more than that in the fridge). Heinz baked beans (warmed through with a shake of Tabasco). Fried eggs - sunny-side down for my husband, sunny-side up for me. Perfect.

I'd normally do some fried mushrooms as well, but somehow we have run out. We never have toast/fried bread/saute potatoes with it when we have it at home, because with all the rest on the plate you just don't need it, and there is no one to care if you lick your plate to get the last bit of eggy baked bean sauce.

3 comments:

mscrankypants said...

I understand where Giles is coming from but I also think he went a bit far in demonising a big breakfast. Moderation just isn't controversial, I guess.

I adore baked beans on rye toast with a sunnyside down egg and a healthy drizzling of red or green Tabasco.

SSS said...

One word - yumyumyum.

I read the Times article, nice to see the class system is alive and well. Bloody idiot.

I've never had Tabasco with baked beans, I must give it a whirl. My personal favourite is a dash of Lea & Perrins.

HH said...

We just had a 'fry' for dinner. I must admit I like potatoes or toast, or better still, homemade potato bread, which is so delicous! I also, ashamedly, only really like baked beans cold...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...