Friday 24 April 2009

Torrijas - Spanish French Toast

I've been absolutely craving one of the dishes I tried in Spain last year. Torrijas. This Easter specialty is like boozy French toast and was absolutely delicious. You could have it as a dessert, but I made it for a leisurely brunch with many cups of coffee.

Torrijas (for 2)

2 eggs
1/4 cup sherry (I used a dry amontillado)
4 thick slices of good but stale bread
butter for frying
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbs more sherry
sprinkle ground cinnamon

Beat the eggs with the sherry. Dip 2 slices of the bread into the egg mixture on both sides.

Heat a frying pan and add a knob of butter. When the butter froths, add the first slices of bread and add the second slices to the egg mixture.

In an ovenproof baking dish, mix the maple syrup, extra sherry and cinnamon. Turn the oven on to 140C.

Now it is time to flip the first 2 pieces of toast in the pan, and flip the second 2 in the egg mixture.

Put the kettle on for the coffee.

Flip the first 2 pieces of toast into the dish of syrup and put it into the preheated oven.

Add an extra dab of butter to the frying pan if you think it needs it. Put the second 2 pieces of toast into the frying pan.

When those are done on both sides, get them onto your plates. Pull the warm, syrup-soaked ones out of the oven and put one of them on each plate too, and pour the rest of the warm, cinnamony, boozy syrup over them.

If you were serving this for dessert, some cream would be a good thing.

13 comments:

NKP said...

A nice, boozy brunch - I love it!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Ben - many cups of coffee are good!

Natashya - I am pleased you don't think I am mad for having booze in my breakfast!

Esi said...

Boozy brunches are a favorite of mine. I think it's perfectly normal :)

Debbie said...

ooooh....it does look good!!

Anonymous said...

There are just way too many things one can do with a slice of bread, some egg, and a hot griddle!

But I have to say, I'm partial to the make-it-the-night-before, baked version of french toast.

Heather said...

i've never heard of this before, but i could eat just bunches and bunches of these!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Foodycat, great minds think alike. I love, love, love your french toast with the sherry. I made some with tequila. Great way to start the day.

BTW, I saw that one of your favorite movies was the Fifth Element. Do you know who the opera singer was? I loved the voice.

hungryandfrozen said...

Ooh, I've heard of these before! I love french toast - and the flavours in this sound divine...

Dharm said...

This does look nice and boozy!! You are absolutely right about the beetroot in 'with the lot' - just that I never really liked beetroot see?!!! lol

Alicia Foodycat said...

Esi - thank you!

Debbie - thank you! Funny how photogenic it can be.

12th Man - baked sounds very good. So much easier!

Heather - 2 pieces each was about right. More would have been too much!

Teresa - with tequila? Wow! The Diva's performance was sung by Inva Mula, an Albanian opera singer. It is so lovely!

Laura - if you like French toast you will love this!

Dharm - I wasn't a fan either, but there is just something about the beetroot on burger experience!

Anonymous said...

Didja know: that while International Waffle Day was last month, Americans don't celebrate it until August. Wassup with that!?!?! Just being nonconformists?

Why can't we all just get along? I will not rest until we can share our love for breakfast pastries on a common day.

A-Mao said...

Looks so crispy & friendly to cups of coffee & black tea!

Alicia Foodycat said...

12th Man - on the other hand, the more days of pastry celebration the better!

264 - actually, a cup of black or green tea would be perfect with this. The tannins would cut through nicely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...