Thursday 9 April 2009

Tandoori lamb chops

One of the very nicest things at our favourite Indian restaurant are the tandoori lamb chops. They are so good that Certain People have been known to order a dish of them as a starter and then a second dish of them as a main course. Which is 10 fat, delicious lamb cutlets.

In an effort to replicate the deliciousness, I have had a jar of tandoori paste in the cupboard for 4 months. Not to mature, just waiting for barbecue season. And then we had to wait a bit longer, until British lamb was available. I can't justify the airmiles for New Zealand lamb.

Half a jar of tandoori paste, mixed with a tub of plain yoghurt. Thick mid-loin chops, layered with the marinade and left for 6 hours. A hot charcoal fire. Served with asparagus, tomato and aubergine, and a wedge of lemon. Almost as good as Sahibs.

HOLD THE PRESSES: I have just been informed that a plate of chops at Sahibs is 6 cutlets - so Certain People actually will eat 12 of them for dinner. And snack on my chilli paneer.

13 comments:

kat said...

Oh wow, I bet that is absolutely amazing

HH said...

Wow, they look and sound gorgeous! And is that aubergine I spot!? Heaven!

Heather said...

wow. that sounds delicious! nick and i love tandoori style meals!

Jude said...

Any particular brand of tandoori paste Puzz?

Paul F said...

that looks awesome!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kat - yup, it was good!

HH - you sure do!

Heather - I like tandoori because I can convince myself that it is less fattening than a curry.

Jude - Ferns. I got it from Wing Yip.

Haddock - thanks!

Esi said...

Ooh, sounds so flavorful!

Joie de vivre said...

A jar of tandoori paste? I've never seen such a thing! I'll need to keep an eye out. Did you cook it in a really hot oven?

NKP said...

What a beautiful dinner, I love tandoori too. Yum!

Laurie said...

My husband and I are right there with "certain people" in our love for lamb chops. They look awesome!

I pea green with envy that you now get your groceries delivered!!! Very cool.

hungryandfrozen said...

I wish we'd get more NZ lamb here in New Zealand! And I am not at all appalled at the amount of lamb chops you can eat, I could probably match that total easily myself :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Esi - thanks!

Amanda - we used to buy it all the time in Australia (my mother used to do a feast of tandoori chicken, dry spinach and potato curry and pilau rice) but it is harder to find in the UK. We barbecued them on the Weber.

Natashya - thanks! I get the impression we could eat together quite happily.

Laurie - oh good! I was feeling so gluttonous.

Laura - actually, the one time I was in New Zealand I noticed that there wasn't as much lamb on the menu as I had expected! Must all be export.

Jude said...

I think you need to stop dining with "certain people".

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...