Monday 8 July 2013

Meat Free Monday: Burmese Egg Curry

We've been watching the new Rick Stein series on the BBC - Rick Stein's India. To be honest, it hasn't grabbed me in the same way that some of his previous series have. Despite several conversations where he asks people about the word "curry", and being firmly told that he isn't using it appropriately, he insists on referring to all Indian dishes he tries as curries. Irritating. He's also really quite patronising, repeatedly saying how happy and smiley all the poor people are and reciting bits of colonial literature that may be meaningful to him but aren't particularly pleasant to modern ears... Plus, and this is a gripe I have with a lot of food TV at the moment, the editors have no grasp of continuity. He'll use his spice grinder in the first segment and then 10 minutes later do a segment where he introduces the spice grinder and explains the importance of it.

However, the food he is cooking and eating still looks really appetising and is sending me off on another curry cooking binge. Or it would, if it wasn't too hot to do anything but barbecue.

In the first episode he showed an egg curry in a coconut sauce. Much to my surprise, Paul thought it looked delicious and asked why I had never made him an egg curry. The answer to that is that I never thought he'd like it, so egg curries, sambal eggs and that sort of thing have been solo treats when he's been working away.

Having his go-ahead gave me the opportunity to make Meemalee's Burmese egg curry - a very simple, extremely delicious tomato and tamarind curry. I left the sauce quite lumpy, out of laziness and Paul's preference for chunks, and served it with a little rice and a lot of salad. Definitely worth repeating.


10 comments:

Joanne said...

My old roommate was Indian and she always laughed at me whenever I said I was making curry because in India both everything and nothing is a curry lol. Whatever you call it, this spiced up egg dish sounds amazing!

Shu Han said...

I am completely not missing the meat in this! Looks divine and love the combiantion of flavours and spices here. Mimi is amazing.

p.s. kudos to what Joanna said above haha!

Cuisine de Provence said...

Curry or not curry, it sure looks delicious!

Kavey said...

I love egg curry so much!

mscrankypants said...

Looks delicious, kind of like how my gado gado looks but all Burmese and yummy.

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

The show sounds like it would annoy me a bit, too, but yay for this egg curry! It looks so good.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is right up my alley. It sounds delicious and I am a great fan of curries of all sorts. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

grace said...

i've not been able to find a curry that a)tastes good to me and b)doesn't tear up my insides. good for you though! :)

Simona Carini said...

This is something I must try: I have never tasted an egg curry. And I like chunkiness in this case.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you on the show. He gives off this colonialist vibe that just makes us uncomfortable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...