Friday 5 July 2013

BSFIC: mojito sorbet

IceCreamChallenge Rumour has it that this weekend is going to be the hottest of the summer so far. Which, to be honest, isn't that difficult. We've had some very nice days (I managed to get sunburnt last weekend in just an hour in the beergarden - my poor skin has hardly seen sun in three years) but it hasn't exactly been a scorcher.

Not that a lack of sunshine has ever held me back from eating ice cream, but a nice warm day does make a frozen treat that bit more appealing!

This came about as a way of using up some lovely fresh mint - and very conveniently fits right into Kavey's current herbal BSFIC challenge. Of course, as it's me this doesn't need an ice cream machine
Cooling syrup
Frozen mojito (makes a dainty portion for 3)

3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
15g mint
zest of 1 lime
juice of 3 limes
sprig mint, extra
2tbs white rum
1 egg white

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and dissolve the sugar completely over a low heat before bringing to the boil. As soon as it comes to the boil, remove from the heat and add the first quantity of mint. Cover and steep for 10 minutes.

Strain the mint from the syrup, then add the finely grated zest of a lime, the juice of three, the rum and another sprig of mint, cut into the finest possible chiffonade. Allow to cool completely, then pour into a plastic box and freeze for about 3 hours, stirring with a fork every hour.

At the end of that time it should be mostly frozen, but be a bit slushy.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg white to soft peaks, then tip in the slush and beat it all together until combined. Pour the mixture back into the plastic box and freeze for another 3 hours or until you want to eat it.

The egg white gives it a lovely velvety texture while the mint and lime make it really fresh and vibrant.

6 comments:

Kavey said...

Ooh I love mojitos. Apparently, that makes me boring and mainstream accoding to cocktail snobs and bartenders but they can **** off! ;-)

We made a lemon spoom once, the egg white made it all silky too.

I think I'd love this!

meg-made said...

Oh jackpot! This looks amazing! I'm big on sorbets at the moment, this will be incredible for the next ten summery days london is going to actually get!!! xx

Angie's Recipes said...

A great summer treat! I definitely prefer this to ice cream.

Unknown said...

I have so much mint in my yard it's quite ridiculous! This sounds so refreshing! Scorchers are the rule here in North Carolina rather than the exception in the summer, thanks for sharing this!

grace said...

mojitos are the epitome of refreshing summer beverage in my eyes, so what a great idea for a frozen treat!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kavey - they are a nice drink! I can't be doing with snobby bartenders.

Meg - I know! Summer in London!

Angie - it's lighter so you can eat more of it!

Chris - for some reason I've not been lucky growing mint.

Grace - I also feel like you could put it in a glass and top it up with sparkling wine. But I haven't tried that yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...