Friday 8 March 2013

Seville Orange Posset

A few years ago you couldn't move for lemon posset. It was on every restaurant dessert menu and if you happened to be invited to a dinner party it'd turn up there too. Very simple, doable ahead, portion controlled and moderately economical it was just about the perfect dessert.

Then, I guess due to ubiquity, it fell out of favour. But when I was trying to come up with a dessert to have after a rich beef curry, it popped back into my head. As a slight variation, I made it with lovely, bitter seville oranges (which I have had in the freezer to prolong their brief season). I served it with more of Azelia's marmalade brandy snaps to add another layer of bitter orange flavour.

Seville Orange Posset (makes 5-6)

600ml double cream
50g caster sugar
3 seville oranges, juice and finely grated zest

Combine the cream and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring just up to a boil and remove from the heat. Add the juice and zest of the oranges. At this point alchemy happens - the cream immediately thickens but it doesn't curdle. Pour into ramekins. This amount makes 5-6 reasonable portions (it's quite rich, you don't need a lot). Chill for several hours before serving with something crisp.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful especially with that curry, yum!

Caroline said...

I love the twist of seasonal Sevilles, and those marmalade brandy snaps sound like the perfect accompaniment.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love lemon posset and just came across a recipe for tangerine posset that I wanted to try so I love the idea of a Seville orange one. Loving the brandy snaps too. ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...