Monday 11 March 2013

Garam masala spiced cocktail nuts

I made these as a pre-dinner nibble, but made loads so Paul could take a tub to work with him. Unfortunately my definition of "loads" is not quite the same as his, so the tub that went to work with him only lasted a day, not the rest of the week as I had expected.

The good thing about making your own nuts is that you get to put the nuts you like in and don't have to waste time eating your way around icky brazils. It also meant I was able to give them a bit of Indian-inspired flavouring to go with our dinner. The only downside is that they take much, much longer to cook than you think they are going to, but you still have to watch them quite closely.

Garam Masala Spiced Cocktail Nuts

150g cashews
100g pistachio nuts (shelled)
150g almonds
1 egg white
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dark brown sugar
100g dried mango

Whisk the egg white until slightly frothy and add the garam masala, salt, cayenne pepper and sugar. Mix in the nuts until completely coated.

Spread out onto a baking paper-lined baking sheet and roast at 160C for about 45 minutes or until totally dried out and shiny-looking, stirring a couple of times to make sure the cooking is even. Allow to cool, then stir through the dried mango pieces. Dust with a little extra salt and cayenne to serve.

6 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I must give your recipe a try. I am a bit tired of the recipe I'm using and this sounds like a great replacement.I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Heather S-G said...

Oh, what an awesome idea to add dried mango in there...they probably wouldn't last me more than a couple of days, either. I'll admit it ;)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

You had me at garam masala. I love this idea for a healthy but tasty snack - taking a tubful to work is a great idea. Love the addition of the dried mango to this as well - I think that would be delicious with the spicy nuts.

hungryandfrozen said...

Icky Brazils! I love Brazils! I also love Garam masala. And basically the sound of this whole thing.

grace said...

you've included three of my absolute favorite nuts in this! plus, the spice blend would make these a very tasty snack.

Simona Carini said...

I am with you on choosing the nuts you like. And I am intrigued by the combination with dried mango. Nuts have an amazing ability to burn the exact moment you get distracted. But it's so worth the effort toasting them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...