Thursday 28 June 2012

Nigella's sweet & salty crunchy nut bars

Becky is allergic to nuts, as I've mentioned, so I don't make treats for work that contain them, because I think it's a bit unfair. By the same reasoning the best possible thing for my waistline would be for a diabetic person to join the team.

But this week Becky is in the South of France, so I wanted to make something that packed in the maximum quantity of nuts. I did think about baklava, but I was away for the weekend (post about that is coming in a couple of days) so it had to be something quick.

The quickest, nuttiest things I know are Nigella Lawson's sweet & salty crunchy nut bars. Butter, chocolate, golden syrup, honeycomb and salted peanuts. I enhanced the nuttyness by using the remainder of my homemade maple and pecan cinder toffee (fascinatingly, given that I made that toffee in October and totally forgot it was there, it had no loss of either flavour or texture. Shows how effective candying is as a preservative!)

These bars would actually be the perfect thing to take on an arctic expedition when you needed really concentrated energy, but it also got an office full of people through a Monday.


7 comments:

Hotly Spiced said...

I wouldn't mind working in your office. What a gorgeous nut packed treat. This would be delicious and full of flavour and texture and of course, chocolate. Great recipe xx

Ali said...

Oh my, these look so delicious! I'm on vaca with the fam and brought along some homemade granola bars that aren't quite doing the job. These are more along the lines of what I was looking for. Yum!

Jude said...

I love these. Haven't made them for a while but it won't be long!

Caroline said...

They look great - and would be one of the few nutty treats I could enjoy (well, if I used normal honeycomb). I bet my colleagues would love these!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Charlie - they are totally delicious. I've been asked NOT to make them again because they are addictive!

Ali - I'm sure your granola bars were good too!

Jude - such a crowd pleaser.

Caroline - I have a friend who is allergic to tree nuts and she makes these too!

hungryandfrozen said...

Oh, I remember seeing this recipe in one of her books - it sounds rather wonderful, glad to hear it really is! Enjoy the nuts while you can :)

grace said...

dynamite! i can think of very few combinations of goodies that mix better than what you've used in these packets of energy. i predict messy, sticky fingers upon eating them, and that means they're extra delicious. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...