Thursday 21 January 2016

Quince and lemon tart

My dishwasher was broken for a fortnight - tragedy - which broke my spirit for cooking a bit. We weren't quite reduced to paper plates, but the prospect of having to wash up every utensil by hand really put me off.

Fortunately last Friday the nice man came and fixed it, so I celebrated with some pot-intensive cookery.

I didn't get a picture of the cassoulet, because it wasn't that pretty (but it was delicious and used an awful lot of pots). But I did get a picture of the quince and lemon tart. Which proves that the fan in my oven doesn't do a lot to cook evenly.

Anyway, I poached peeled, cored and quartered quinces in a basic sugar syrup until they were tender and a lovely dark amber colour. Then I arranged them on a slick of quince paste on a puff pastry case, and poured over a lemony custard. The custard was 2 whole eggs and a yolk, 2 tablespoons of sugar, the rind and juice of a lemon and 150ml of whole milk. Baked until the custard was almost set, then pulled out, drizzled the poking-out bits of quince with a little of the syrup they were poached in, and then back in the oven for a final few minutes to set as a glaze.

It's very good warm with a slosh of cold double cream.

4 comments:

Faux Fuchsia said...

looks so so good!!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I knew you'd like it, FF!

Bettina Douglas said...

that oven has a problem.

grace said...

i've never had quince! :( i like the looks of this, though!
also, a broken dishwasher can DEFINITELY dampen one's mood!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...