Thursday 30 August 2012

Tuna and Orecchiette

A few weeks back, Simona made orecchiette. As usual it was a very interesting and beautifully photographed post (I had no idea that orecchiette was made with different flour to other types of pasta) and it made me very keen to eat orecchiette, although not to actually make it from scratch.

I bought a packet of dried orecchiette and waited for inspiration to strike.

Then Paul said he wanted tuna steaks and I knew which direction to go. I decided on a version of the classic orecchiette with broccoli and anchovies, but using much more broccoli than pasta, and serving the tuna steak on top.

I boiled the pasta, and a couple of minutes before it was done, I added tender-stem broccoli (which is known as broccolini in Australia) cut into pieces. Then I drained them, and in the pan sauteed a couple of chopped anchovy fillets, a lot of garlic and a couple of chillies. Before the garlic took any colour, I added the pasta and broccoli back to the pan and added the zest and juice of a lemon, and a big handful of chopped parsley, and tossed it all together. Meanwhile, Paul was cooking the tuna steaks in a hot cast iron pan with a splash of oil and a bit of simple seasoning.
 

8 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

What a great combination - that's my favourite cut of pasta and the tuna sounds lovely!

Bettina Douglas said...

Donna Leon has a funny description of trying to learn to make orecchetti. Her friend ended up recommending Barilla!

It is a nice change from other pasta shapes and works really well with vegetable sauces.

Joanne said...

I love how this dish is almost tuna and broccoli with pasta instead of the converse. Looks so tasty!

Unknown said...

This looks like a fabulous dinner to me. What a wonderful salad you've put together!

Simona Carini said...

I must find the Donna Leon's story your mother mentions. I am glad my little post on orecchiette inspired you. This is a very nice dish of orecchiette and the tuna steak on top looks great.

Bettina Douglas said...

The story is in Brunetti's Cookbook - which has a couple of orecchiette recipes, Simona.

There is evidently a knack to them as I recall Jamie Oliver in Italy was brushed aside by a small girl because his technique was wrong.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Chocolate shavings - thanks! It's not a shape I've used often, but I like it.

Mother - Dinah was telling me about that too.

Joanne - we're trying to eat more veg and fewer carbs at the moment.

Chris - thanks!

Simona - thank you for the inspiration

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Oh, heaven!! I love orecchiette - one of my favourite shapes - though I don't think I would ever be game to try making it from scratch.

I know I would love this dish - pasta with broccoli & anchovies is one of my favourite dishes and I love the way you have prepared this. The tuna steak is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Sue

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...