Saturday 14 June 2008

Hotel California


I had an earworm all day yesterday - for some reason I had Hotel California going round and around my head. Which got me slightly fixated on the idea of pink champagne on ice... No way would the landlord tolerate mirrors on the ceiling.

And how best to have pink champagne on ice? In the form of a pink champagne jelly.

Hotel California Jelly

200g strawberries sliced and marinated in a spoonful of cointreau and a spoonful of icing sugar
Put in a saucepan with 50ml pink prosecco and brought to the boil.
When the sugar was totally dissolved I added 3 sheets of soaked and wrung out gelatine.
When the gelatine was melted and the mixture was syrupy I added a dash of rosewater and another 200ml of pink prosecco. Which fizzed wildly. Spooned the strawbs into glasses, poured the liquid over the top and chilled for 3 hours. You can see on the left how some of the bubbles from the prosecco stay suspended in the jelly, so it is lovely and fizzy on the tongue. When we were ready to eat dessert I poured a little float of single cream over each portion.

I thought it was fab. My husband felt that there was too much jelly at the bottom, because the strawberries floated. I feel that asking the opinion of someone who doesn't love desserts was an error of judgement.

5 comments:

Bettina Douglas said...

Maybe he was still stewing over having chicken thighs twice in a week?

Alicia Foodycat said...

I think it was just the lack of strawbs at the bottom of the glass. Anyway, he'd eat chicken thighs 7 times a week if they came with roast butternut and whole cloves of garlic!

HH said...

Oh looks and sounds delicious FC, pleased you put your earworm to good use!

mscrankypants said...

Perhaps you should make it again and teach Mr Foodycat to spoon down the side to get jelly and fruit with each bite, rather than scrape the top. Looks stunning.

Heather said...

What a fabulous idea! I love pink champagne, even though it's totally girly and doesn't even usually taste good. It makes me want to curl up with a trashy mag and get a pedicure. :p

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...