Monday 7 January 2008

Low-carb paella

Bee Rawlinson - one of Neris & India's Idiot Proof Diet forumers - has worked with them to produce the Idiot proof diet cookbook. It's the ultimate fantasy really (well, my ultimate fantasy) - an enthusiastic amateur, busy raising a family and trying to feed them healthy, delicious meals while losing some weight, gets discovered and ends up with a book contract. Not as lucrative perhaps, but just as emotionally satisfying as the whole "writing in a cafe, ends up being the Harry Potter phenomenon" scenario.

I've met Bee, and I think she is lovely, so I ordered the book without having tried any of the recipes. And with little intention of following the diet. But on Sunday there was a whole big piece in the Sunday Times which included some recipes. I was intrigued by the low-carb paella recipe so I decided to give it a go (recipe is now behind a paywall - so removed).

I'm a lazy, lazy woman, so I didn't do the recipe as written - I browned the chicken and chorizo and then chucked everything in with it. Because I didn't brown the cauliflower to begin with, it gave off a load of liquid, so I think mine was a lot soupier than Bee's would be. I also used a bag of my trusty frozen seafood mix instead of live mussels and fresh prawns. But do you know what? It is absolutely delicious. Very filling, so there is a big tub of leftovers which will make me a wonderful lunch tomorrow. More power to Bee and the Idiot-Proof Diet Cookbook!

6 comments:

Mia said...

Thanks for the recipe reference... i kinda browned it but still got a little liquid.. it wasn't yellow like the rice version but red... but it was wonderful... it had a comfort food kinda feel to it... but one question? whats the easiest way to grate cauliflower??? I did it by hand and talk about laborious.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Laborious AND messy! Mine sprays bits of cauliflower all over the kitchen. I think if you have a food processor with a grating attachment that would be the way to go.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Unfortunately, the article that included the recipe is now behind a paywall. Would you mind reproducing just the recipe?

Alicia Foodycat said...

Hi Anonymous,

No - I won't do that. It's someone else's intellectual property and I don't have permission to publish it. Thanks for alerting me to it being behind the paywall, I have removed the link.

Anonymous said...

Hi again,

Hm. I understand why you wouldn't reproduce the recipe, but wouldn't it be better to have the link to the original article still up -- perhaps with a parenthetical alert that it's behind a paywall? After all, at least some of your readers will be subscribers, and will be able to read it -- but not without the link!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Since I can't confirm that the link is still live, I don't want to link to it. If anyone is that keen there are dozens of low-carb/paleo recipes for cauliflower-based paella on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...