Saturday 1 August 2015

Lamb chops

A few days ago, I asked Paul a serious question. He was shocked. He couldn't believe I would spring something so momentous on him without prior warning. I asked whether he preferred lamb cutlets or lamb loin chops.

As he absolutely refused to answer, I decided - for science! - to get a pack of each and do a direct comparison. Now, I accept that two people's opinions aren't statistically significant, and to be a genuine comparison they'd need to have been cut from the same sheep, but I still thought it would be worthwhile. Delicious, and worthwhile.

Both the chops and the cutlets got the same treatment - brought to room temperature, rubbed with salt, pepper and garlic powder and grilled over charcoal.

And both were delicious. But we agreed that the loin chops just had the edge. Paul likened it to the difference between fillet and rump steaks - one has the edge on flavour and one has the edge on tenderness. The cutlets were very slightly more tender, the loin chops had a slightly more robust flavour. We might have to repeat the experiment to be on the safe side though.

3 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

I love that you did such an experiment! It's always interesting to do a proper comparison.

Joanne said...

That's quite a weighty decision, there. But I'm glad you did such a scientific experiment!

grace said...

this is my kind of scientific experiment! thanks for sharing your results with us, though no one should be discouraged from replicating such a test. for science, of course. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...