Monday, 10 February 2014

Coconut pandanus no-churn ice cream


I like having some ice cream in the freezer. I don't need lots of different flavours; just one, for when the urge strikes.

This one is based on Nigella's one-step, no-churn coffee ice cream, which is the perfect recipe to produce a fairly small quantity of ice cream without much in the way of fancy equipment. The coconut cream gives it a harder texture, as it sets into flakes that give it a sort of stracciatella mouthfeel. If I'd had some rum I would have added it, but I didn't, so there you are. The pandanus extract is what gives it the lurid green colour, but also adds a rich vanilla-y, coconutty flavour, complementing the coconut cream and coconut chips. I just ate it as-is, but it would be brilliant with some warm chocolate sauce, or with grilled pineapple chunks.

Coconut pandanus no-churn ice cream

300ml double cream
175g condensed milk
1 tsp pandanus essence
100g coconut cream (I've found buying coconut milk & cream in the UK bothersome. Nearly all of the supermarket brands are only about 60% coconut & the rest is stabilisers, whereas in Australia it's mainly the reduced-fat, or the really cheap ones that have that sort of dreck in them. For this you want a 100% coconut cream product)
25g sweetened coconut chips

Whisk the cream, condensed milk and pandanus essence to soft, billowy peaks. Fold in the coconut cream and coconut chips , scrape into a plastic box and freeze. Take out of the freezer a couple of minutes before serving to ripen.
No idea why the colour intensified like that on freezing.

8 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Love the taste of pandan, though I don't think I've used pandan essence. That does look unexpectedly green!

Gemma said...

I've made one of Nigella's no-churn ice-creams before but this has reminded me that I really need to try the coffee one soon!

wildtomato said...

I love pandan! They remind me of Vietnamese waffles, one of my favorite snacks.

The Cat's Mother said...

that looks very nice. Would it work as a pannacotta as well?

Alicia Foodycat said...

Leaf - I was told Malaysians were all about the lurid green with pandan!

Gemma - I do like them. So simple!

Wild tomato - I have never had a Vietnamese waffle!

Mother - I think it'd be lovely as a pannacotta. Or a baked custard.

Joanne said...

Ooo I love pandan flavored treats! THis looks great!

Choclette said...

I had no idea you good get pandan as a flavour, not that I have any idea what the flavour is like. I'm now desperate for some warmer weather so I can make some no-churn ice-cream using coconut cream - sounds fabulous. And you are so right, I find it really hard buying good quality coconut milk.

grace said...

how cool that the color became more vibrant! pandan is an unfamiliar flavor to me, but as much as i love coconut, i'm pretty sure the combo would be a hit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...