Thursday 15 December 2011

Upside-Down Toffee Apple Cheesecake

This is a good autumn/winter dessert. I'd had an image in my mind of what I wanted to achieve, and given some thought to how to go about it, and this is what eventuated. It actually wasn't what I had in mind: I think it is better.

I started thinking about this as a way to use up my crazy over-sweet maple cinder toffee. I thought introducing it to a tangy apple cheesecake would be a good way to dilute the sweetness, but I didn't want to lose the texture by crumbling it into a biscuit crumb base.

So if it wasn't going to be on the base, that pretty much meant that the toffee was going to be on top. And if the toffee was on top it really didn't need a base as well. Thus was born the upside-down toffee apple cheesecake.

Upside-Down Toffee Apple Cheesecake (serves 6-ish)

3 bramley apples (or other large cooking apple)
1 tsp sugar
450g cream cheese
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
cinder toffee (a couple of crunchies/ violet crumbles if you don't happen to have any homemade lying about)
4 gingernut biscuits (optional - don't buy them specially!)

Peel, core and slice the apples and put in a saucepan with the sugar and a splash of water. Cook until soft, then mash with a fork to a fluffy purée and allow to cool.

Beat the cream cheese with the vanilla until smooth, then add the apple purée and eggs and beat in well. Pour the mixture into a pie plate and bake at 150C for about 45 minutes or until just beginning to take colour but still slightly wobbly in the middle. Cool, then chill for a few hours in the fridge.

Cut/break the toffee and biscuits into chunky pieces and spread thickly over the top, pushing lightly into the surface.

The apple gives this a light, almost moussey texture, so it is more of a scooping cheesecake than a slicing one!


14 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

I like this idea very much. The contrast in the flavours and textures sound exciting!

wildtomato said...

I wish I had a slice now to go with my morning coffee. Genius!

Suelle said...

This sounds a lovely combination of flavours, especially with the maple cinder toffee!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Leaf - the contrasts of sweet/tangy and creamy/crunchy were just perfect.

Wild Tomato - it was good with coffee.

Suelle - I was very happy not to waste that toffee.

Choclette said...

It sounds divine. The combination of apple and cheese sounds good and then paired up with maple cinder toffee - wowzers!

Joanne said...

I don't think I've ever seen an upside down cheesecake before but with that topping...I'd be in food heaven.

Caroline said...

Sounds like a pretty inspired idea to me - great combo of flavours and perfect for the winter.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Choclette - thanks!

Joanne - it's a good variation, you get a nice crunchy contrast.

C - thanks!

mscrankypants said...

Such a simple idea yet so clever -- my favourite kind. It's funny I'm now seeing summer berries and cherries and you're now in full autumnal and winter cooking!

Anne said...

Oooh I love the sound of this with the apples in, looks delicious too!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Cranky - I envy you the cherries!

Anne - the flavours are excellent.

Deb in Hawaii said...

You had me at toffee apple and then cheesecake just sealed the deal. This looks so good! ;-)

I ♥ food and travel said...

Yum yum yum... can't wait to try making this one. Thanks! x

Alicia Foodycat said...

Deb - thanks!

Food & Travel - thanks for visiting my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...