Monday 26 September 2011

Meat-Free Monday: Carrot & Feta Cake


Some people seem to have been a bit shocked by the news that arch-carnivore Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, whose Meat book is the last word on the subject, has published a book of meat-free recipes. I don't know why there should be such a kerfuffle. It seems obvious that for sustainable living and good health, eating less meat is a good idea. And it isn't as though he has ever rejected vegetables. From the earliest River Cottage TV shows, he has always given as much time and consideration to growing and preparing vegetables as he has to rearing & butchering & preparing meat.
I don't think this is a recipe from his new book, but it is a delicious meat-free savoury cake. Delicious in a big chunk eaten instead of a biscuit with morning tea, better alongside a bowl of vegetable soup. If you have a hard time dealing with the idea of a savoury cake, call it a loaf and no one will bat an eyelid.

15 comments:

Suelle said...

That looks really good! I must try a savoury cake soon.

Unknown said...

Awesome moist and savory cake.....sounds good to me:)
(I absolutely love vegetarian food!!)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Suelle - this one is a good start!

Malli - thank you for visiting my blog!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

There was a really interesting article in the Guardian the other week about Hugh's decision to cook far more veg, reduce his meat intake- certainly food for thought!

Unknown said...

all your meat free monday recipes look rather appealing! The recipe that you've linked it too has a serving of ham as one of the ingredients - I guess that can be left out quite easily! I am a vegetarian just about completing fir first year of blogging :) !

cheers, priya

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kate - I saw that, it was interesting!

Priya - it's not that recipe, it's the one further down the page. The carrot and feta one.

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

It looks so soft and inviting. I would totally dig this for breakfast!

hungryandfrozen said...

Yum! I'm always a tiny bit suspicious of vegetarian 'loafs' but this sounds lovely. Glad to hear Mr FW is turning to vegetarian food with the same gusto he applied to meat.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Leafy - yes, it'd make a great breakfast!

Laura - Vegetarian loafs can be a bit hard going, but this one is nice!

Gemma said...

I bought the new book last week and it's great, full of the sort of food we've been eating a lot of recently - we've made a few things so far and are planning to make a squash, fennel and barley salad tonight. Yum. I'm glad you reminded me about these savoury cakes though, I bookmarked them months ago but still haven't made one!

Angie's Recipes said...

Love the savoury cake..would be really great with a glass of chardonnay!

Sook said...

This cake looks so good... I've never tried this before.. but the combo of carrot and feta sounds interesting. :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack, I think this looks amazing. Love the feta and carrot combo. ;-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gemma - the book sounds great!

Angie - you are right, a glass of wine is just what it wants.

Sook - have a go! It's lovely!

Deb - maybe you can sneak it in to the "less dairy" diet?

Anonymous said...

Nice cake. I had Hugh's Light Easy book from our Library, really good. My eyes have been opened to some interesting ideas. Especialy less dairy. Lots of things on different and more healthy grains/flours. Rye chapatis etc. Meat nice, but good meat and less of it. Am I preaching to the converted again? Nice Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...