Friday 20 May 2016

Curtis Stone's asparagus & taleggio omelette

 This week I Heart Cooking Clubs are celebrating "the most important meal of the day" with Curtis Stone recipes. I have to admit that at the moment for me breakfast is most likely to be two very large cups of coffee and possibly a banana, but I do love a really extravagant breakfast or brunch.

On the weekend we generally have two meals a day - a substantial, late breakfast and then an evening meal - and pretty much Paul's favourite thing for the substantial late breakfast is a very cheesy omelette. Curtis Stone's Lazy Asparagus Omelette is just the thing really!

I've written in the past about my favourite frying pan, and how it makes the best omelettes in the world. It really does.

Paul doesn't like a baveuse omelette, so this technique of putting the pan under the grill to finish, which leaves you with something half way between a French omelette and a frittata, is the one I tend to use anyway. My delicious new season British asparagus were really skinny, so  I just sauteed them raw in the butter before adding the eggs. I also reduced the number of eggs, because 12 is too big for that pan and way too much food, really.

The taleggio melted into delicious runny pools, the eggs were just set, and the asparagus brought its wonderful fresh flavour to the party. It's one of those really simple dishes where everything has to be just right, and the combination of butter, eggs, asparagus and cheese was just perfect.


13 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Asparagus cheesy omelete sounds good! I would be happy to have it not only for breakfast, but for any meal of the day! Looks delicious!

Suelle said...

This sounds good, and yours looks good too!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! I love taleggio but it can be a bit of a hunt sometimes to find it here. What a perfect pairing with the asparagus.

I more of a fan of this style of omelette too--for the crisper bits you get on the top. (Plus the bonus of no flipping/turning of course!) ;-)

Claudia said...

You can hardly go wrong with such a delicious combination, asparagus and tellagio cheese in an omelet. I want one soon.

ostwestwind said...

I like this recipe. I just wait for local asparagus

Zosia said...

That's the perfect use for beautiful young asparagus. I'm with your husband - I like my eggs fully set - so that cooking method would work for me.

Diane Zwang said...

This looks like a wonderful brunch dish. We have made eggs and asparagus before and really enjoyed the combination.

Joyce Rachel Lee said...

Oh yeah, asparagus omelet. I have wanted to cook this but I can't get asparagus yet. Gotta go stalk the market soon.

flour.ish.en said...

I like the running pool of cheese topped with some crusty crispy egg. The green of asparagus poking through. Looks so special and inviting.

Bettina Douglas said...

It would work with most cheeses, but tallegio adds something else. Yum

TeaLady said...

Asparagus. Eggs, Cheese. What's not to love?

grace said...

i'm a big fan of all breakfast foods, especially omelets, and especially ones loaded with cheese!

Kim said...

A beautiful, healthy, and easy breakfast! Perfect with a piece of toast and some juice:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...