Wednesday 24 February 2016

Baked eggs with greens & dukkah

I forgot that it was Potluck Week at I Heart Cooking Clubs, but as it happens our tea last night was a recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi, who was featured on IHCC in 2013. Well, I say it is one of his recipes but I did go a bit off-piste.

It started life as his braised eggs with leeks & za'atar. But as I looked at the leeks dwindling in the pan as they sauteed, I realised I needed to add more veg. I bunged in some baby courgettes and looked again at the recipe. With the liquid the courgettes was giving off, I couldn't see any reason in the world to boil it all in vegetable stock, so I left that out. I divided the vegetables between two ovenproof dishes, added a couple of eggs to each, crumbled over some feta and discovered that I had dukkah in the cupboard, not za'atar. So a tiny drizzle of oil over the yolks, a sprinkle of dukkah and into a hot oven until the eggs were set and the feta golden brown.

We had it with sourdough toast, rubbed with garlic and sprinkled with a little olive oil. Delicious, and very comforting.

9 comments:

Lydia from Lydia's Flexitarian Kitchen said...

Way to use your versatility! Sounds like a great meal :)

grace said...

seems to me like you adapted to what was happening in your pan pretty expertly! :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love all of your changes and adaptations--it looks like a brilliant dish. I do love me some dukkah! ;-) Glad you could join in this week.

Joyce Rachel Lee said...

This dish makes me Googled for dukkah. :)

kitchen flavours said...

Delicious dish! And I like it that you've used what you had at hand! I have not tried dukkah before, but I did make some dukkah today for a dish I'm making tomorrow. :)

flour.ish.en said...

A dish so rich started with eggs and leeks and ended with fantastic adaptations and additions along the way. Great job!

Diane Zwang said...

Sounds like an interesting dish.

Vicki said...

I've never had this, but it looks good! I had to google "dukkah" because I had no idea what it was.

TeaLady said...

Made this one some months back and had to make our own dukkah. It was fun to put the dish together. Yours looks perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...