Monday 30 June 2014

Lily's scones revisited

The thing that triggered my latest attempt at scone-making was strawberry jam. Not just any strawberry jam - jam made by my friend Penny from her own homegrown strawberries. It would have been rude not to.

I used Nigella's Lily's Scones recipe again, substituting buttermilk for the milk. I also kneaded the dough for a couple of minutes: you are always told not to overwork scone dough, but I think my previous attempts were underworked, which is why they were so crumbly.

These were definitely my best yet.

7 comments:

Food Urchin said...

I need to get my scone making down to pat too

Bettina Douglas said...

the jam looks fantastic! You know I am not a scone fan, but that could go anywhere.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Danny - Nigella's recipe is good. Bizarre quantities of cream of tartare do the job!

Mother - it has a lovely flavour, and was Penny's first jam making effort! Scones aren't my favourite thing, because of the baking powder taste, but these don't have that.

Alexandra Stafford said...

THese look beautiful! Light and flaky — yum. I'm loving the new look of your site, Alicia!

Joanne said...

Scones are definitely a tricky thing to get right, but it looks like yours turned out perfectly!

Choclette said...

I've never tried that recipe - keep looking at it then deciding I'll give it a go another time. The jam looks so bright and beautiful.

grace said...

i think you could put strawberry jam on anything and have a winner, but these scones are extra nice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...