Tuesday 27 May 2014

Mulled wine granita and frozen caffè latte


IceCreamChallenge 

This month's Blogger's Scream for Ice Cream challenge (Kavey's monthly blogging event which fuels my ice cream addiction) is frozen treats inspired by hot drinks.

I pondered the theme for a while. Kavey's post said "think tea, coffee, hot chocolate, bovril, maté, hot ribena, lemsip" and I did for a moment or two consider a bullshot-inspired ice cream. But I'm not Heston and I don't think I quite have the cooking chops to carry that one off. I know my limitations. Just because it is a challenge doesn't mean it has to be challenging...

I mulled the theme over for a while longer before realising that "mulled" was indeed the way to go. A light, fresh, crystalline granita with all the flavours of one of my favourite winter beverages. It was going to be perfect, I thought.

Mulled Wine Granita (serves 4)

200ml fresh cloudy apple juice
2tbs sugar
1 strip orange zest
1 stick cinnamon
4 cloves
1 star anise
2 cardamom pods, bruised
200ml dry red wine

Combine the apple juice, sugar, zest and spices in a small saucepan, and bring gently to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for a couple of minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain into a plastic box and add the wine. Cover and freeze, giving a couple of stirs with a fork every now and again to ensure that the crystals aren't too big.

Flake with a fork into glasses to serve.
Now, I thought this was brilliant. Not too sweet, definitely spicy with a distinct wine flavour and a good way to end a meal. Paul, on the other hand, said it tasted like cough syrup. So I decided to try something else, for people for whom that description is off-putting.

I haven't had his assessment of my frozen caffè lattes, but I think it is a good one - strictly for coffee lovers!
Frozen caffè latte (makes 4) 

2 eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
1tbs instant coffee (I always use decaf for desserts, otherwise I can't sleep!)
1tsp Camp coffee
2tbs kirsch (or rum, brandy, kahlua, Baileys, whisky etc)
170ml single cream

Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and instant coffee with an electric mixer until the sugar and coffee has dissolved and the mixture has doubled in volume. Fold in the Camp coffee, booze and cream. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, and fold thoroughly into the coffee mixture, trying not to knock too much air out of it.

Divide between 4 glasses, cover with cling film and freeze. The egg whites should make the mixture separate into two layers. Remove from the freezer a couple of minutes before serving.

8 comments:

Joanne said...

I love these out-of-the-box frozen treat flavors! For adults only. :)

Bettina Douglas said...

It is hard to know what other people will label *cough medicine*

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

They both look good to me! Great ideas.

Faux Fuchsia said...

these photos make me want that granita thing NOW!!!! Love your work. Don't always comment but always read. x

Alicia Foodycat said...

Joanne - definitely adults only!

Mother - very true.

Leafy - thank you!

FF - the granita is so easy! You should definitely have a go.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I totally have to try that frozen latte - that is right up my alley. I can't get Camp coffee here though. Many years ago we used to be able to get chicory essence here, but I don't think we can get that anymore either.

Amy said...

These both look delicious! I love frozen treats in the warm weather.

grace said...

i like a cool caffeinated treat during the summer, and the one you've made is terrific! the granita is a beautiful color!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...