Friday 30 August 2013

Rose veal with sherry and sage

There comes a time after a holiday when reality asserts itself. When, after weeks of lovely food, largely prepared by other people, you have to cook your own dinner.

For the first couple of days after I got home we ate barbecued meat with pre-prepared salads. But eventually I was recombobulated enough to attempt to cook a meal.

As soon as I'd got home, Paul demanded that we place a large order with ELSCo, and I had included a beautiful rose veal fillet (high welfare, grass fed, not crated). I froze it for 20 minutes to firm it up, then cut it into more-or-less even medallions. I initially thought of cutting it into delicate little scallopine, but I decided that my knife skills weren't up to the challenge.
Then I dusted the medallions in seasoned flour and fried them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. When I turned them, I sprinkled them with chopped garlic and sage, and then added some dry sherry. I pulled the veal out to rest while the sauce reduced and thickened a little. Some macaroni and a few snow peas and dinner was ready. A gentle easing back in to cooking!


6 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

A scrumptious meal! The veal medallions look so tender and succulent.

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Mmmmm, looks like good comfort food. A nice re-introduction to home cooking!

Joanne said...

I always love getting back to my own cooking...but it is always a bit disconcerting to actually have to do it. Way to jump back in with a bang!

Faux Fuchsia said...

I want this too. NOW!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Angie - thank you! They were really buttery.

Leaf - it was very nice. The macaroni was just what it needed.

Joanne - there's always the worry that I've forgotten how to do it!

FF - you'd need a mortgage to buy this veal in Oz!

grace said...

a fine way to reintroduce yourself to your pots and pans!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...