Wednesday 21 December 2011

Burgers with Dan Lepard's slider buns


These buns are intriguing. It's a good thing the introduction says "Don't be afraid of the custard powder" because without that I would have been very, very scared of the custard powder! It just sounds so bizarre, to make a pot of Bird's then mix in the flour and salt, but I know by now not to doubt Dan Lepard and these buns really are excellent.

We were just having burgers for dinner at home, so I made large buns, not dainty little slider buns. I also didn't have an egg so I glazed them with milk.

My burger patties were made from an equal quantity of bison mince and 12% fat beef mince, with a little chopped garlic and salt and pepper mixed in. I usually just do salt and pepper, but Paul particularly wanted garlic in them. They certainly don't need anything else added.

I split the buns, piled in some shredded lettuce and topped with a cooked burger, with some mature cheddar melted on, and a good spoonful of chilli relish.


These beautiful burgers are going over to Deb for the next Souper (Soup, Salad and Sandwich) Sunday. They were a delicious sandwich treat!
SouperSundays

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking at those burgers, now anything i eat today is going to feel sub-standard! cheers and happy holidays!!

Caroline said...

I know what you mean about the custard powder - I nearly ate the custard instead of making the buns! Great recipe though - yours look fab. I thought they were very soft and moist, but dense enough to soak up burger juices (not that I had burgers in mine!).

Alicia Foodycat said...

Steve - have a lovely Christmas!

C - they were an excellent burger! I didn't shape all the dough into round buns, I used some as hotdog buns, which were also very good.

Joanne said...

Hmm custard powder...I wonder if we even have that here? The buns look great though!

kat said...

Those look like a perfect bun! Though I have to laugh when I first saw your title I though it said "Burgers with Def Lepard"

grace said...

holy. crow. i LOVE burgers, and that last shot is glorious. the buns look great--so fat and fluffy that i'd have to unhinge my jaw to get a bite into my mouth...and that's okay. :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Joanne - it's basically corn starch!

Kat - they are probably the best burger bun I have tried.

Grace - it was everything you want in a burger!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Now normally I think the bun on a burger is just a holder for all the good stuff in between--but these buns are the star of the show--they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them with Souper Sundays. ;-)

I ♥ food and travel said...

These look amazing! I know I shouldn't be thinking about food so soon after xmas, but your post has inspired me... I've just come across your site and it's really good, keep it up! x

Alicia Foodycat said...

Deb - well, they were a very good burger bun, they certainly did the job of keeping your fingers clean!

Food & Travel - thank you!

Unknown said...

Only four years late but made these today and they were excellent. I didn't have custard powder so used cornflour.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...