Tuesday 11 October 2011

Fritto misto - fried chicken and courgette


I had chicken thigh fillets and a couple of fat zucchini and not a lot of anything else in the house. I cut them into chunks, marinated them in a little olive oil, lemon juice and paprika, then dunked them a few at a time in a very light batter. I deep fried them in batches in hot oil, drained them well and then sprinkled them with a little salt and a gremolata to finish.

We sat with the big, shared bowl in front of us, individual pots of sweet chilli sauce to dip the pieces in, bite by bite. The chicken and zucchini were both juicy and tender inside, crisp and crunchy outside. We watched The Big Lebowski. It was a very good match.

15 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

That looks dangerously addictive!

Katie said...

Zucchinis are about to go mad in our garden....I shall remember this and attempt.
Looks sensational.x

Joanne said...

This sounds fabulous! You turned those blah ingredients into magic!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Leafy - it was good!

Katie - zucchini fries are gorgeous (I assume you still don't eat meat?)

Joanne - thank you!

Anonymous said...

I want to see a movie at your house!

Su-Lin said...

I want part of that bowlful!

grace said...

you're entering a world of pain, son! great movie, great eats. :)

Anne said...

Mmm I am drooling! Love courgettes cooked like this!

Simona Carini said...

My father would have been very happy at your table: he loves fried zucchini. A well-deserved prize for your creativity :)

foodie @ tasting spot said...

i like your food pictures and want to invite you to share them on tastingspot.com

Alicia Foodycat said...

Steve - I believe the snacks are an important part of the process.

Su-Lin - it was really good!

Grace - it is a great movie, isn't it?

Anne - it's the best way to have them, in my opinion.

Simona - if he's ever passing, he'd be welcome!

Foodie - thank you!

kat said...

Oh yeah, that is my kind of meal!

wildtomato said...

I'll that fried chicken and zucchini over popcorn any day!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fried zucchini is a little bit of heaven. This looks wonderful! ;-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kat - it's nice to have something tasty that involves loads of veg!

Wild tomato - I am a huge fan of popcorn but this was much more satisfying.

Deb - I think fried zucchini must be a good way to get kids to eat their veg.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...