Monday 25 July 2011

Meat Free Monday: Mushrooms, shallots and ricotta


This utterly divine savoury stew is another Yotam Ottolenghi recipe. I used white wine instead of Pernod, but I think vermouth would be a good option too. And I used a vegetable stock cube, without adding more liquid - the vegetables throw off plenty to make a good rich broth. Paul though it would have benefited from bacon, but I disagree, I thought it was perfection as it was.

We had it with rice. It's extraordinary how well tarragon goes with mushrooms!

Also - happy birthday to Jude, and happy birthday for tomorrow to my mother.

And in a final public service announcement, I have finally joined Facebook and made a page for foodycat.blogspot.com - I have no idea what benefit there is to either me or you, loyal band of readers. But I was told it was a Good Thing and it is there.

16 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Ottolenghi's recipes always sound fabulous. And this has all my favourite ingredients!

Hanna @ Swedish Meatball said...

I am obsessed with Ottolenghi - have almost cooked all the way through both books and am yet to find a miss!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Leafy - I am seriously considering buying his books.

Ben - your stuffed mushrooms looked so good too!

Hanna - my only complaint is some of his recipes have too many ingredients.

Brain said...

That looks delicious! And can I just add that I absolutely love your blog's name? :)

Jude said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Will post on my Official Birthday Meal. Suffice to say is not today. Drooling at yours.

hungryandfrozen said...

Oh that Ottolenghi knows what he's doing.

Hope your mother has a lovely birthday.

I'll give your page a like, for what it's worth! :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gingersnap - thank you!

Jude - I look forward to your Official Birthday Meal!

Laura - thank you!

Simona Carini said...

It looks beautiful and it has all ingredients I like a lot. Tarragon and mushrooms pair really well. Sadly, I can't get tarragon to grow in my herb garden.

Anne said...

Looks glorious, mushrooms are my favourite thing to eat!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Simona - I buy my tarragon. Slugs eat everything but rosemary and sage in my garden!

Anne - thank you! It's hard to beat mushrooms.

grace said...

i never smelled or tasted tarragon in my life until recently, and it was in a mushroom soup. since then, i've seen it all over the place, and always paired with mushrooms! nice dish. :)

Joyti said...

That sounds like my type of dish too. I love the combination of shallots + mushrooms - somehow perfect together.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Grace - tarragon is also lovely with chicken. And does that mean you've never had bearnaise sauce on a steak?! crying shame!

Indie - it's a great dish, I'm glad you liked it.

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks wonderful. I gave myself a treat and bought Ottolenghi's Plenty the other day and I can't wait to cook from it. ;-)

kat said...

That looks so good, I'm thinking it would be great for winter too.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Deb - it's a beautiful looking book, I must get a copy!

Kat - It would be wonderful in winter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...