Thursday 20 September 2007

Florence

Just back from 5 days in Florence - my first time. What a beautiful city and what beautiful food! Everything so nicely presented. I couldn't find the gelato bar I was told about with 70 flavours, I had to settle for about 12. Lunch one day was just gelato - a scoop of coffee, a scoop of pannacotta and a scoop of coconut. Delicious! And so filling.

I'd been looking forward to the famous bistecca ala fiorentina - a thick t-bone grilled over a wood fire - but when I saw them there was no possible way. On Monday there were 3 people at the table next to us struggling to finish one. And since my mum, who I was travelling with, had her heart set on veal I had to settle for a smaller, but very delicious, steak.

Food highlights - smoked goose carpaccio, pappardelle with wild boar ragu, pappa al pomodoro (bread and tomato soup) and a lovely, lovely day of cooking classes with Judy Witt at Divina Cucina (but that gets a whole post to itself).

2 comments:

Bettina Douglas said...

For the record, as I don't have a blog - our other menus in Florence.
Il Messere Restaurant (Saturday lunch):
Smoked goose carpaccio (shared)
Pappardelle with wild boar (foodycat)
Gnocchi with gorgonzola & spinach (mother)

Semidivino (Sunday dinner)
Pappa al pomodoro
Scallopini with lemon (foodycat)
Mixed salad (share)
Ribollita
Grilled chicken (mother)

Il Messere (Monday dinner)
Carpaccio of swordfish
Grilled beef fillet
Tiramisu (foodycat)
Spinch with lemon (share)
Polenta with wild boar
Veal scallopini with porcini (mother).

And I'm glad we didn't tackle the bistecca fiorentina - it was huge.

NEXT TIME!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I am delighted that you kept such good notes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...