Saturday 30 September 2017

Apple cider doughnut muffins


Week before last Paul asked me to make muffins for our weekend breakfast. He specifically wanted American-style cakey muffins and he asked if they could be apple. I still don't know where my scales are, so at the moment I am quite happy with American recipes in cup measurements. I found this recipe, for Cider Doughnut Muffins and thought it'd work really well to add some dried apples to the batter.

Unfortunately, there was not a dried apple to be found in all of Bedford. Someone on Twitter pointed out that it was Rosh Hashanah and that may have had an impact. I'm slightly sceptical about that to be honest - but one way or another I couldn't get the dried apples and naturally went into a massive sulk and refused to bake, despite Paul having provided alternatives in the form of dried pears and dried mangoes.

This week, I got the dried apples.
Dried apples soaking in reduced cider
I mostly followed the recipe. I used hard, dry English cider rather than American sweet cider, and when I had reduced it to 1 cup, I added 1 cup of chopped dried apple slices, and let them steep overnight.
Very happy with that fluffy, tender crumb
And rather than rolling the cooked muffins in melted butter and cinnamon sugar for the doughnut effect, I sprinkled each one with a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and demerara sugar before they went in the oven, so the coating cracked a bit as the muffins rose. And, presumably because of the apples, they took quite a lot longer to bake, 25 minutes, not 15-17. Very successful and tasting beautifully autumnal.



4 comments:

Suelle said...

I think yours look better than the ones in the recipe - the 'doughnut' effect doesn't really work well!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Thanks Sue! I agree that doesn't work too well - you end up wasting a lot of butter and sugar and it doesn't stick properly!

grace said...

they turned out wonderfully! you've produced my ideal muffin crumb, for sure. very seasonal too--bravo!

Profound Familiarity said...

These muffins excite me. The texture looks perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...