Monday 15 June 2015

No-churn lemon ripple ice cream

I've mentioned that I hate food waste, haven't I? It feels so wrong to throw away ingredients because I've not made it around to cooking the dish I bought them for, or even worse, because I've misjudged use-by dates. This ice cream happened because a carton of cream was on its use-by date and I didn't have any other plans to use it for the next couple of days (I find that sealed cartons of cream are usually fine for at least a day or two afterwards, but I didn't want to push it too far). It also finished up a squeezy bottle of condensed milk that had been in the fridge for a while and the jar of lemon curd left from my raspberry and lemon dacquoise, so definitely a worthwhile, simple and useful little recipe. And delicious. Oh so delicious.

It uses the whipped cream and condensed milk base which makes a no-churn ice cream scoopable straight from the freezer, but I added a little vodka just to help it along. If you have a bottle of limoncello that you bought on holidays and have never got around to using, you could add that instead.

No-churn lemon ripple ice cream (serves about 4)

170g condensed milk
170ml double cream
1 lemon, juice and grated zest
2tbs vodka
good quality lemon curd

Put the condensed milk, lemon zest, juice and vodka in a large glass bowl and give it a bit of a stir to combine. Then add the cream and whip until it forms defined peaks.

Fold in the lemon curd (I had about 3 heaped tablespoons left from the dacquoise and dunking a spoon in the jar every time I went into the kitchen) very roughly, so it's rippled through the cream. Scrape into a plastic box, cover and freeze.
Now, Kavey's Bloggers Scream For Ice Cream event this month has a water ice theme - sorbets and granitas. So this doesn't qualify AT ALL. But it tastes so good that I am going to send it along to her anyway. And lemon is refreshing, so it's almost like a sorbet, right? Creamy, luscious sorbet.

6 comments:

wildtomato said...

That looks so good! I have a steady supply of Meyer lemons thanks to many friends with trees, and this looks delicious.

Barbara said...

Any ice cream with condensed milk as an ingredient is delicious. Love the way you used up some odds and ends and turned out a divine ice cream!
BTW: I love lamb and so enjoyed the previous post!

Joanne said...

Wasting lemon curd would just be a tragedy...so glad you found a use for it in this delicious ice cream!

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't make churned ice cream any more because my ice cream maker makes such a loud noise, so I am happy whenever I find a great no churn ice recipe. It looks really creamy and smooth. Excellent!

grace said...

as a person who is woefully lacking an ice cream maker, i love these no-churn recipes! limoncello, yes! the lemon curd is a beautiful and tasty addition. :)

Kavey said...

You know me, all frozen deliciousness is good frozen deliciousness, so thanks for entering BSFIC!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...