Friday 22 May 2015

Chicken and pumpkin laksa: For Flora Elizabeth Christensen

This week I Heart Cooking Clubs is taking some time to stand alongside Deb, one of the hosts of the event, supporting her as she grieves the loss of her mother. As well as IHCC, Deb hosts Cook the Books and her own Souper (soups, salads and sammies) Sunday event: she's a blogging powerhouse. Anyone who has read her blog more than once knows that she is a great eater of soup - which she says she got from her mother, so it really could only be a soup.

Deb avoids meat and dairy products, but I decided that this laksa, from Diana Henry's A Bird in the Hand, was just the thing. It's basically this recipe, with the addition of shredded cooked chicken. I used some of the leftover piri piri chicken mentioned in my last post, and even without the skin it gave the broth a deep, smoky richness. It was a very comforting meal in a bowl, with a beautiful colour to lift the spirits.

11 comments:

Faux Fuchsia said...

that looks so good. x

Kim said...

Thank you for helping support Deb with this gorgeous and very colorful laksa! I know that it would lift her spirits to see this gorgeous dish. It looks so satisfying and would make anyone feel special:)

Michelle B said...

The colors in this dish are inviting.

Unknown said...

I love how you use leftover chicken to make this soup. I'm sure it tastes really good. I've not tasted this kind of laksa before. I will make it soon.

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

I've never had pumpkin in laksa - sounds interesting!

Alicia Foodycat said...

FF - it was very nice! Made heaps, I was eating it for days.

Kim - thank you!

Michelle - it's beautifully sunny, isn't it?

Grace - it's not an authentic one by any means, but it is very flavoursome

Leaf - it's a first for me too. But it's good!

kitchen flavours said...

Such a delicious bowl of laksa! A lovely comforting bowl of soup indeed.

flour.ish.en said...

Ginger, lemongrass and ginger mixed in with the pumpkin sounds so lively and comforting at the same time. The color of this dish is amazing!

grace said...

chicken soup for the soul, as they say! sounds amazing and looks delicious. :)

Joanne T Ferguson said...

This looks delicious even though is still a sad time for Deb, I am glad we all shared together in this tribute In Honor of Deb!
Pinned!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Alicia, Thank you very much for honoring my mom with a soup. I am sorry for the late commenting--it has taken me a while to feel able to read the kind words people have written--although knowing they were there was a comfort in itself. Laksa is one of my favorites--so much flavor and like a little bit of sunshine. Warmest Aloha, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...