Thursday 17 April 2014

Storing egg yolks - a handy hint


Egg yolk in water
Here's one for the "you learn something new every day" file - at least, I hope I am not the last person to find this out. You can store egg yolks for a couple of days in a bit of water. Did you know that?

I was making something that needed an egg white but I didn't have a reason to use up the yolk. Separated egg whites keep quite well in the fridge but the yolks dry out and go rubbery. I googled, and came across this post, which had the half-hearted suggestion "you can probably keep the yolks whole in the water if you are careful". Well, I can be careful.

I separated my egg, being careful not to break the yolk, and slipped it gently into a ramekin half full of cold water. I covered it in cling film and popped it in the fridge. A couple of days later I was having an omelette for lunch so I gently fished the yolk out of the water to add to the other beaten eggs. It was in absolutely perfect condition - not at all dried out. I have tried this a second time, using milk instead of water because I was going to be putting the yolk in a custard, and again it worked brilliantly.

So there you go - pretty nifty, huh?

Two days later

10 comments:

Kavey said...

Yes proper nifty!

Anonymous said...

Very clever! Thanks, I will be trying this as I hate it when the yolks get all gross in the fridge. What were you making with the egg white?

Bonita said...

Hi, I freeze in little zip lock bags leftover egg yolks and whites as the case may be. I defrost in the fridge overnight and use for baking cakes and biscuits. xx

Alicia Foodycat said...

Kavey - thanks!

Allie - spiced nuts. Paul is going through a phase of taking them to work, so I am ending up with a spare egg yolk every week!

Bonita - I freeze whites but I have never tried yolks, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could use egg whites in making spiced nuts - you learn something every day! Thanks!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Allie - it's the best thing! You whisk an eggwhite until frothy, add your salt, sugar and whatever and toss the nuts in it before roasting them. It holds the coating on brilliantly and gives them a lovely glaze.

grace said...

very useful tip!!!

Joanne said...

Good to know! See, I've heard you should beat the yolks all together to save them...but maybe I'm wrong!

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Nifty indeed, looks like it held up well!

Simona Carini said...

Nice tip. I didn't know, so thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...