Friday, 3 July 2009

Fritto misto

OK, so I lied. THIS is the last British asparagus for the season!

A Friday night fritto misto of calamari, asparagus and onion rings, in an egg yolk & cornflour batter, seasoned with Old Bay, shallow fried in sunflower oil.

I microwaved the onion rings for a couple of minutes to soften them, and then cooled them before adding them to the batter. I didn't want raw onion!

Served with a big squeeze of lemon juice and a bowl of fresh, garlicky mayonnaise and a bottle of chilled prosecco.

9 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

I am near the end of a very nauseous pregnancy so no fried food for me right now. But I do love fried asparagus.

kat said...

Oh now that is my kind of snack!

Esi said...

Fried asparagus?! Never would have thought. Sounds great!

girlichef said...

Oh my gosh, yes! I'll take it...especially w/ that mayo...YUM!

Natashya said...

Yum, great pub fare!

Debinhawaii said...

Ah, I love a good frito misto--this looks incredible.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

That looks and sounds sooo good! Enjoy your asparagus while it lasts! And as for us down in the southern hemisphere, bring on spring!

Peter M said...

I love an array of fried seafood in the summer. It's one of the most often-ordered appetizers at a Greek taverna.

Foodycat said...

MM - you have a much healthier diet than me!

Kat - it's a good Friday night sort of thing

Esi - you've got to try it.

Girli - the mayo was excellent.

Natashya - grease is good!

Deb - thanks!

Laura - we're onto broad beans now as our seasonal treat

Peter - my frying still needs practise. I need to apprentice myself to a Greek frymaster!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...